News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pictures of My Telephone Collection - ETS1979

Started by ETS1979, March 11, 2010, 08:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ETS1979

Hello everyone.  I have received requests for more pictures of my collection so I thought I would start a new topic.  Here is the "before" photo of my red one followed by two "after" photos followed by a pic of my green 302.

ETS1979

Here is a photo of my Ivory 302.

ETS1979

Here's another photo of my Ivory 302.  I will be adding more as time permits.

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Dan/Panther

ETS;
What did you do to the Ivory 302 to get it that nice ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Netdewt

Wow. Just wow. I'm a black phone kind of guy, but these are making me want some color in my life!

Dan/Panther

Here are my colored 302's that I haven't started yet, as I was want to make sure I'm doing it right.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

ETS1979

A little more info on the Ivory.  It had only moderate discoloration when I got it on Ebay.  It was coated with some strange clear crusty stuff.  I would speculate that it was coated with hair spray, which is mostly lacquer.  I believe that is what kept the discoloration to  a minimum.  I used the sandpaper/polish method to remove the crusty stuff and the remaining discoloration, imperfections, etc.  I spent many, many hours doing this by hand.  I usually start with around 800g and move up through  3000g.  I like 3M Rubbing Compound and Shine Restorer for the final polishes.

Craig T

:o  I have never seen such a bright white Ivory phone. Man is that awesome! The cord is just as bright white. That does it, time for me to get some sandpaper  :)
Thanks for posting the pics I cannot wait to see the others!

D/P that is one heck of a lineup of 302s you have too! Each line cord is wound and sitting just right too, great presentation.

AET

Wow, your 302s are impressive!  Someday I'm gonna get at least one!
- Tom

savageje

I still can't get over that green 302.  Just awesome.

rp2813

I swear, both of those phones look like they were carved out of onyx or something.  There is such depth to their finish.  I think they are the most impressive 302's I have ever seen.  Just beautiful.  You are a true master at what you do!
Ralph

baldopeacock

ET, I don't remember:  did you do dial plate overlays on the color 302s, find good replacements, or were the originals good?

I do remember that you found an almost-date correct (one quarter too early?)  for the other Ivory, the '41, but can't recall on the others.

Drew

Beautiful telephones, really nice work.

Question; Since you seem to be about as serious as can be on 302's........Any idea on production numbers with the colored sets ?  Most of us have read that a total of some 25 million 302's were produced in the two decades of it's production, obviously the vast majority in black.

I'd also like to know if Western Electric kept production data in general.  Date codes and updates on servicing was so detailed that it seems they would have keep records of units produced year to year ?

Drew

JorgeAmely

ETS:

Could you move the pictures of your red 302 to this topic? It would be nice to have the entire picture collection in just one spot. Maybe Dennis can help too.

Jorge