News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE40 Carry Handle Nickel Plating

Started by dencins, December 30, 2012, 11:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dencins

This is an update on the process I have been trying to nickel plate old (or antique) pot metal (sometimes called white metal).  While there are other telephone applications, the AE40 Carry Handle and the AE40 Butler Handle & Blocks are two of the more familiar applications.  Professional electroplaters say this is one of the most difficult metals to plate due to the deterioration of the pot metal that causes adhesion problems.

The following are the steps I used to nickel plate a painted AE40 Carry Handle:

1.   Strip paint (Klean Strip Aircraft Paint Remover)
2.   Sand out blemishes and pits (600 grit then 1000 grit then 1500 grit)
3.   Media blast with 600 grit aluminum oxide
4.   Alkaline copper plate
5.   Lightly sand then polish
6.   Nickel plate

It should be noted that a plating shop would use cyanide copper plating for the alkaline copper step which is not recommended for hobbyists.  I am using a formula using lye, citric acid and root killer for the alkaline copper bath that is much safer.

Pot Metal is very susceptible to oil from fingers so nitrile gloves should be used.  Also exposure to any type of acid will destroy the parts.

While this process is showing promise, unfortunately it still has problems.  It took me several attempts to get a reasonable nickel finish with good adhesion on the pictured Carry Handle.  On this part the tops of the two end blocks and the area in the two circles on the picture after the paint was removed shows areas that have started to deteriorate.   

Dennis Hallworth

AE_Collector

I am glad to see that you are still fighting that battle Dennis! I hope you are able to figure out a reliable and easy way to chrome plate and replate these parts. Looks promising.

Terry