News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NOS Reproduction Ericsson 1892 Skeleton Telephone

Started by Doug Rose, March 31, 2018, 09:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I always wanted to find one of these and remove it from the base, The rumor is they were made with all original parts, Anyone know about these, they look great, This is $900, I have seen them at $400. Any Info is appreciated....Doug

https://tinyurl.com/yd2aqak6
Kidphone

wds

I've had a couple of these, and was very disappointed.  Without the base it isn't a phone and doesn't work.  All the electronics are in the base.  Everything else about the phone is fake and doesn't work without the base.  Even the ringer is fake - no magnets - when you spin the crank the other end of the rod is a simple oblong piece that makes the clapper hit the bells.  The two coils are empty.  I paid $300 for the first one, $200 for the second and sold both.  I don't understand how these are sold as "exact replicas".
Dave

Jim Stettler

I have seen these in ten button as well.
Jim S.

ISTR a Rotary base also w/ 3" dial
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TelePlay

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

Additional listing information:

Seller description:  "You may never see one in this condition again! -- My father in-law started working for Ericsson back in 1959 when it was Anaconda. He had this stored in a closet since the late 70's or early 80's. I had no idea what was in the box until I opened it recently. All I can say is WOW! It was never used, and I left the plastic on what was wrapped. I obviously have the box, and I have all the original paperwork including a numbered certificate of inspection. The only negative thing I noticed is that some of the metal parts, such as the bell covers, have some spotting. Not sure if they can be polished, but I'm leaving it as is. I learned the hard way not to try to clean collectables for the buyer. I saw two of these that were in VERY used condition that sold for $800.00 & $900.00. The only other one I could find is one that they're asking $1850.00 for...and it does not have the original box, certificate & other paperwork. Weighs over 14 LBS with the box. It stands about 12" Tall.  Will ship priority and fully insured at no extra cost to you."

AE_Collector

We're they an "Anniversary Edition"? I think I read something about that in my recent "Skeletal" investigations. I guess these were (close to) exact visual reproductions.

Terry

HarrySmith

I guess if you have an original in poor condition you could get one of these to restore it. It sure looks good, the wiring, the gold leaf, the paint, all excellent!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

I recall seeing these for sale  in a department store in Atlanta for around $900. I seem to recall that they were made by Ericsson for their 100th anniversary ca. 1879 - 1979. I imagined they were of good quality -- at least electrically.

The dial base seems like a good way to add a subset + a dial to a non-dial phone such as a candlestick type.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

The earlier repro's would only dial out as a rotary, even though they were push button.  Later ones were pulse.  I think the one pictured above is the later model. 
Dave

WEBellSystemChristian

I wonder how many parts--if any--are identical to the original. I would bet that none of the parts from the "exact replica" will interchange with any part on the real thing.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

wds

To start with, the crank is on the opposite side compared to the original skeleton.  Nothing would interchange, because all the parts are fake.  Not sure about the legs.  I don't understand how these things are worth much more than about $50.  They're not much different than the novelty Western Electric phones from the 70's.

you see a lot of these on Ebay with the wood bases removed. Without the bases they have no hope of working, so I'm sure the buyers are not happy once they figure out what they have.
Dave

wds

here's my first one - I think this is the rotary only dial.  10 digit.  The second one is the touch tone.  They sure are pretty, until you figure out what you have, and then you wonder how quickly can you sell it without losing too much money.

I wish I had taken pictures of the phone disassembled.   PhoneCo has a bunch of these they have been selling for years.  I think they are all NOS.  And all for for a more reasonable price - $350 or something like that.
Dave