News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My addiction has reared its ugly head,

Started by ....., October 20, 2016, 09:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

It arrived this morning and it's alive! I unpacked it and plugged it in and it came on. I plugged a phone into ext. 12 and one into 22 I dialed the extensions and each phone rang when dialed. Ext. # 21 is marked low DT I checked it and the dial tone is low on the ext. Not enough to matter as I can hook up a volume controlled phone to it. It is missing a back up battery, I'll just have to start looking for one.

twocvbloke

The backup battery's only really needed if you want to keep settings applied with a systemphone, so for just regular telephones it's not really necessary... :)

TelePlay

Quote from: Autonut on November 02, 2016, 01:07:28 PM
It is missing a back up battery, I'll just have to start looking for one.

Two things:

1)  If you want to program your unit and need a battery to save the programming, one source for the battery is Interstate Batteries - battery model number TEL0710. This battery will fit the battery compartment. Other similar batteries may be too large or won't have the correct connector. By personal experience with Batteries Plus, their conversion tables to find a current battery for an "obsolete" battery came up with a replacement battery that was too big and had the wrong connector, just saying.

2)  Is that a battery pig tail connector I see in the battery slot? If so a battery can be used. But, if not, it may be that the battery is right on the PC board and can not be changed. There is a topic on the forum fully discussing the replaceable vs. permanent battery and if I can find it, I will attach it to this reply.

===========

Here is the permanent battery topic:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14945.msg155702#msg155702

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: JorgeAmely on October 24, 2016, 10:51:32 PM
If you sneeze hard and hear bells ringing afterwards, then you are deep in your addiction.
Try whistling while in your phone room. For me, it's gotten to the point where I hear a deafeningly high-pitch ringing afterwards! Sneezing works too sometimes... ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

twocvbloke

Quote from: TelePlay on November 02, 2016, 03:34:39 PMBut, if not, it may be that the battery is right on the PC board and can not be changed.

It can be changed, it just requires careful use of a soldering iron and desoldering wick, though the added benefit of that is you could solder on wire & an appropriate plug to fit a removable battery... :)

TelePlay

Quote from: TelePlay on November 02, 2016, 03:34:39 PM
. . . Is that a battery pig tail connector I see in the battery slot? If so a battery can be used. But, if not, it may be that the battery is right on the PC board and can not be changed.

Okay, should have said "easily" changed as in disconnecting a connector without disassembly of the 616. IIRC, that large cap next to the "almost permanent" battery does most of the work in a power failure to hold programmed code. Haven't read that topic in some time. I suppose if someone had one with a permanent battery, or the schematics, they could come up with where to solder what to lead to the external "easily removable" battery in the battery compartment, but it seems only one member has such a 616 so  . . .  hint, hint  ::)

The model I have is a Version 1. There is a plug for the battery.

Can anyone tell me the difference is between the 3 Versions?

TelePlay

The programming code is different. You need a Ver. 1 programming manual for yours.

You can find it here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16290.msg168776#msg168776

The KX-T61630 Phone was delivered yesterday. I now have the PBX up and running on 3 phones in the garage. Thanks to Jeff Lamb / Ktownphoneco, he sent me the template cover for the phone so I could program the 616. I will have to order a battery on line, so that I don't lose my programing. Now to start the wiring for more phones.