News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1900 N.E.T.&T. Score keeper

Started by Sargeguy, July 01, 2017, 05:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I have been looking for one of these for a few years. I finally found this one advertised as a "Umpire's Scorekeeper" which is obviously not the case.  Any idea what this was used to score?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

After the right digit goes to zero from 9, does the left digit automatically increase by 1?

Looks promotional but for what.

Sargeguy

No it is not that sophisticated, just two pieces of tin? and two wheels  of a plastic-looking material
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

Okay, from what I have found, these are of course promotional give-aways used for playing Bridge. I do not know that game so I'll just report what I found most often for its use. The middle counter also has in indicator for the contract suit (heart shown) but all have the same number format.

Sargeguy

I did not think that it could be a bridge counter be because of the way that bridge is scored (100s of points). But then again, I do not play bridge.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

paul-f

Quote from: Sargeguy on July 02, 2017, 02:16:00 PM
I did not think that it could be a bridge counter be because of the way that bridge is scored (100s of points). But then again, I do not play bridge.

I agree. It's likely it was for other simpler card games where each game was decided by winning 10 or fewer points and generally 10 games would make it an evening, or time to change partners.

If the counter was designed for one particular game, the game would probably be identified on the counter. As was shown, many versions of this counter exist with advertising or other graphics on the outside.

One popular game that my grandparents used to play a lot was Whist. Games were typically up to 5, 7 or 9 points and the scoring was based on the number of tricks taken.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whist#Scoring
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line