"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally got a soft yellow 500!

Started by Dan, May 27, 2010, 08:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

Dan (the dentist):

That is a great find. And the price is just right. And the tube is the icing on the cake. Looking forward to see it restored to its former shine.

Jorge

Dan

I'll do my best, but honestly, I am not a sander guy. Your dove gray AE80 was your most amazing one yet. Hopefully, novus 2 and F-21 will do the trick.

I have a forget- me -not blue AE80 that has yellowed so bad it took me an hour each on the handset caps to get the yellow off.  I quit on it and it's in the pile to do "later". I think your hands must be like popeye's forearms with the sanding you do!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

JorgeAmely

Dan:

No Popeye's arms here. Unlike the old saying "No pain, no gain", you can do little sanding sessions spread over many days and there is no pain in the process. However, there is no instant gratification, it takes many days to reach that ideal "showroom" look.
Jorge

Dan

Well I got the phone today. It is all matching 10-1957! It has the tube but it was disconnected. I am currently cleaning her up and using Dan/P's diagram and Jorges picassa photos of his 501T to wire her up. I'll post pictures. Are these 426A tube phones rare?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Dan on June 04, 2010, 09:46:08 AM
... Are these 426A tube phones rare?

Dan:
Western Electric doesn't make them anymore, but I have seen internet outfits that sell them for $15 each. If you find one inside a phone it means that particular set was part of a string of phones in a single line, most likely in a rural setting, where it is more difficult to find private lines.
Jorge

Dan/Panther

Dan;
What does the tape say on the bottom ?
It looks like...

TIP PARTY ID

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan

AE_Collector

The set is wired internally for Tip party ID on a two party line when used with Automatic Number Identification at the CO. Prior to ANI, when making a long distance call from a party line the operator had to come on the line and ask "number please". She wanted YOUR number to bill the LD call to the correct party. This was called ONI "Operator Number Identification". ANI also cleared up the possibity of fraud when the caller gave the wrong number to the operator (on purpose).

Terry

Dan

Thanks Terry.  Very Interesting.

The previous owner really had the wiring switched around. I had another 501 that I copied off of and it rings and dials now. I have a 425B network, not  the 425A that Dan/P has a beautiful schematic drawing for so I will copy Jorges wiring  (he has one on his picassa pictures)to see it I can get the 426A tube to light. I'll post pictures once I do. I  used a razor blade and the paint came off easily of the tube.

Well I wired it up just like Jorges photo in this link....

http://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/WesternElectric501PhoneWithA426ATube#5197100152319038034

The tube flickers when the phone is dialed up, but there is NO ring. Wiring it up the conventional way without the tube results in a good ring. Any thoughts?

Dan

Here's a couple pictures of the wiring

Craig T

Glad to hear you found a soft yellow 500 Dan, I know you have been looking a while. Looks very nice inside and out already. All matching is a bonus too, congrats!

JorgeAmely

Dan, try reversing the red and green wires from the mounting cord.

Jorge

Dan/Panther

Dan;
Once you get it working post a photo so I can modify my drawing to show wiring using the 425A network.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan

Thanks for the kind words Craig!

Jorge, I reversed the red and green on the network and no ring OR tube light occurs.

I also hooked up the yellow and green on the mounting block as you advised on your link..

Dan

Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 04, 2010, 07:45:59 PM
Dan;
Once you get it working post a photo so I can modify my drawing to show wiring using the 425A network.
D/P

I will and brilliant minds (not mine) will get me there... Don't you mean 425B network?

Jorge I got a new line cord, reversed the wires back to your original configuration, and snapped a photo with the bulb firing. Still no bell ring, but you see it does work here. Cool!