News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Red "thermoplastic 302" or not?

Started by Butch Harlow, June 03, 2018, 09:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch Harlow

I saw this last night and can't help but think it's some kind of fakery. I thought that since I was relatively new to the hobby and didn't catch it right away, that maybe it should be documented and discussed. So...here it is
very odd "302"

Butch Harlow

rdelius

Appears to be prewar Base plate like 1936 prototypes and the shell has the same details also. Note switch is like prototype.Shell might be using a mold for bakelite note thickness.

kleenax

Yep;

EXTREMELY early colored 302. Didn't see them in any photo, but plungers "should" be same red color. Note the 4-digit number on the bottom. I'd say 1936-37.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Ktownphoneco

That is a very odd set.    There are a few number stamps in red, and the case "looks" to be red throughout.      The feet are riveted onto the base, and the induction coil looks to be 1937-38 vintage.
The ringer frame is something I've never seen before, and it's equipped with what looks like a 194-B double condenser in a rectangular "can".    It also appears to have a switchboard dial, but I can't really get a good look at the back of the dial.
There are members here on the forum that know a lot more about the history and development of the 302 than I do, and I'm sure there will be more accurate input from those individuals.

Good eye Butch !

Jeff Lamb

rdelius

I do think it  is a 1936 prototype

Butch Harlow

Well, I am glad I posted.  It's very interesting and the bidding has exploded this morning. It was at 33.00 when I made this post, now over 300.
Butch Harlow

HarrySmith

Very Cool Phone!! I think the seller is going to be very surprised! It is going to be way out of my phone budget!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Pourme

~

Would have made a good auction contest.....
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

HarrySmith

It is very thick plastic. I would like to have it in my hands to compare with a regular production 302. I am also curious about the ringer bracket. Will a B1 work in there?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

kleenax

Quote from: rdelius on June 03, 2018, 10:10:23 AM
I do think it  is a 1936 prototype
Yea, I threw in the $306 bid just for giggles. STILL got outbid!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

rdelius

A standard ringer will fit. just snaps in.Note one hole  in back for  both cords. compare guts to my set

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=20601.0;last_msg=210647 

( bad link, links to new message, not a topic reply )

RotarDad

Doesn't that thick curved fingerstop indicate a switchboard dial?  If so, could that imply a set of parts perhaps added to an earlier base?  The handset doesn't have the usual 2-piece design with the seam around the underside - that is the earlier design, right?  Other thoughts on origin?
Paul

rdelius

The missing parts are standard but do not have the 4 didget trial station number.The dial was most likely based on a #4, who knows about the fingerwheel if metal or plastic. No field trial sticker also