News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

China

Started by Western Bell, January 26, 2020, 08:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Western Bell

Is it safe to buy stuff on eBay from China these days, and if not, how should anything shipped from China be sterilized when received?

andre_janew

I'd wipe it down with hydrogen peroxide.

Key2871

I got something from China three weeks ago.. No problem.
KEN

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Key2871 on January 26, 2020, 06:54:43 PM
I got something from China three weeks ago.. No problem.

Some people regret what they got from China!

Seriously, a virus won't survive without a host so by the time a package gets here/there (two weeks or more) it should be safe. A germicide won't kill a virus.

Jack

twocvbloke

Personally I wouldn't worry, just make sure to practice regular hygiene and you wouldn't be at risk from something wrapped up in plastic... :)

Western Bell

Quote from: Jack Ryan on January 26, 2020, 10:26:58 PM
Seriously, a virus won't survive without a host so by the time a package gets here/there (two weeks or more) it should be safe. A germicide won't kill a virus.

Thank you. Waht I was lookin for . . .

FABphones

Virus survival (not specifically the virus in this discussion) is an average of 7 days on porus materials, can be a little longer on none porous surfaces.

ETA  link with (various) virus information:

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/infections/how-long-do-bacteria-and-viruses-live-outside-the-body/

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

Yea Jack, I'm, one. First thing to come to,mind.. Junk
KEN

Doug Rose

I would not risk anything from China now. I would not bet my family's life that the virus would not survive. This is scary stuff....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

On top of what Doug said. How can we trust that China is being honest in their evaluation of the situation, housands could have died already. The news reports mentioned this just two days ago.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Key2871

Exactly, China has never been straight with the US about things in the past. And with so many people traveling here and there, this could get put of control before anyone realizes.
KEN

19and41

With the concentration of the earth's population in China,  a large epidemic could be sustained there and not leave it's borders.  I was watching on the news last week and the government there is building large permanent hospitals just for the emergency, claiming to go from cornerstone to operational in the span of a week.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Yea, I saw that too, but they were behind the eightball as it was, then this happens, I don't see how more hospitals, are going to make a difference. It might house more sick people, but where is the care going to come from?
There short staffed as it is, this is a huge delema for them and it is only going to compound. I read about a guy who's been sick for three weeks going from hospital to hospital finally got in one, but there already inundated with people and short staffed.
I think it's time to close the borders to visitors and watch closely to the people who have visited or been in contact with others who have. I don't think it's going to be world wide but who really knows. Ebola was something that happened they got on that fairly quick, but wow. This could be very serious.
KEN

19and41

In this viral concern like others that have preceded it, Lysol is your friend.  That reminds me, I'm about out of the bottle of concentrate I got when the avian flu scare hit.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

In a large hospital in NH, they said wash hands often, especially after going out somewhere. That's your best protection.
KEN