News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How is Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting your community?

Started by Jim Stettler, March 15, 2020, 10:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: FABphones on March 23, 2020, 09:25:20 AM
That would be a better option I think.—-

This morning I went to the store to get a few provisions. Pleased to say everyone I saw was calmly and sensibly shopping. No panic buying, no shortages. Here is a photo of the 'paper goods' isle:

That's the way it should be, really no need for all the panic buying and hoarding.

On another note, when I was out this morning to fill up my truck with gas. The price for gas was down to  72.9 cents per litre CDN for regular and 99.9 cents per litre CDN for premium. No line ups for gas.

People still going about their business, but a lot less of them out there.

The drive thru at the Tim Horton's coffee shop had a long line up of vehicles. Grocery store lots are about half full.

TelePlay

Paid $1.49 for a gallon today. Demand for gasoline is low, inventories are backing up, and no one is traveling so the price keeps coming down.

Got my FEMA letter today saying I am working in a vital industry. Need the letter to prove to whatever cops stops me after today asking why I'm out driving around. My stare is putting a lock down into effect about noon on Tuesday. Will be in place for at least 2 weeks if not longer.

Grocery store shelves are iffy. Discount stores have empty isles but the quality product stores, being more expensive for everything, are doing fine. Will be interesting to see what happens once the general population here becomes aware of the lock down. Might be another round of panic buying tonight.

It's just weird. Seems anything can be purchased if one keeps going back to a store a couple of times a day. I think a lot of people, if they are still alive in a couple of months, are going to be staring a stuffed cabinets, freezers and basements for many months to come, wondering why and hopefully feeling a bit foolish as they do.

Food production was not harmed by the virus but it seems many minds were. Well, it shows what mob mentality and a media that over exaggerates everything can do to a well ordered society.

19and41

I was reading that though the production hasn't been particularly affected, the distribution networks are being affected by the manpower deficits they are experiencing currently.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Well, the UK is now on lockdown, no leaving home except for essential food & meds shopping, one form of exercise a day, for medical and/or care needs, and to look after others in need of support and/or care...

Sit back & relax folks, we're in it for the long run!!!

Key2871

Went to town this morning to get a few things again.
People are now wearing rubber gloves who handle money, still not much in paper products, no TP, or paper towel. But staples are in stock still. Milk eggs etc.
But I keep a distance from others as recommended, others don't. They croud me in the check out line and I just make sure to clean my hands often avoid touching my face etc.
KEN

twocvbloke

I went to tesco this morning for supplies now I have money and it had a lot of bare shelves, whether through people buying "just the essentials" or just lack of stock I don't know, but they did have toilet roll, I didn't need any so didn't pick any up as I'm not a hoarder like that, aswell as some cleaning supplies in the household aisle, but I did notice people maintaining distance, which I appreciated, both from shoppers and staff... :)

Speaking of which I may just nip over there now to get a few more essentials I couldn't carry this morning...

19and41

I have been out of my maintenance meds for a week now and the nurse practicioner said I would have to come to be seen before they would refill my prescriptions.  Good set me up an appointment.  It should have been last Saturday afternoon.  Saturday morning I get a call that they are cancelling all appointments by anyone over 60.  I told them I needed to have my prescriptions renewed.  the nurse said I would have to come in and be seen to have them renewed.  I informed her she had just cancelled my appointment for that purpose.  She said she'd ask the physicians assistant to renew some of my medications.  We went around and around like this for another half hour.  You'd think I was asking for random narcotics instead of routine meds for unimportant things like blood pressure.  I guess my biggest problem during this goat rodeo has been to influence the brain dead to do things for me.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Yea I had to go pick up my monthly script for pain meds at the Drs office that is in the hospital. I was stopped shortly after going into the entrance and had to answer questions like have I been out of the country, have I been around anyone known to have the virus, etc .
After answering no to each question they let me pass..
But that was unusual, but expected due to the circumstances. But when I got into the building, the seats were all empty. No one was sitting around waiting for their turn. That was odd, but again expected. Drove my youngest (9) to the park the other day, the play grounds were off limits and no one was around in town, going for walks reminded me of after summer everyone went back to their home state to get ready for school.
So popped into the store for a quick stop and went home. This time of year I'm useually in the house a lot anyway, but to see people avoiding stores and restaurants only doing take out its just so strange.
It will be nice when this is over, and hopfuly China will have learned a very expensive but valuable lesson on what not to do with a marketplace in public.

KEN

twocvbloke

One thing I like about my doc is they will accept telephone prescription renewal requests during this pandemic, and for the older folk (like the uncle & mother) the local chemist delivers to the door anyway, so they don't even need to leave the house, one of the blessings of having the NHS, which EVERY country should have!!!

Key2871

Well here in the US, they can call scripts in but not for heavy pain meds, that I need for severe arthritis pain.
I need to go pick it up, after I sign for it.
On another note, my wife got back from taking out older son to a appointment, she stopped in Wal-Mart for a few things, wile she was in line a woman came and asked her if the two bottles were detergent, because she had two and the limit was one. Because so many people were cleaning off the shelves they have had to resort to rationing things, like soaps hand cleaners paper stuffs like toilet paper.
No she didn't have too many she was fair so others could have something to get too.
Luckily she had bought two large packs just two weeks before this all started, as we have two bathrooms and four people in the house.
KEN

Hill Haven Telephone Company

Michigan has a Stay at home order
Schools and all non essential businesses are shut down

I for one have been staying home since we got our first case in Michigan a week ago.   We were already set for food since we had butchered a pig.    Been spending time social distancing at home working on my phone collection. 

19and41

The transit authority I work for I guess must be an essential business.  The parking lot for the commuters at our station looks like Sunday morning these weekdays.  I get to drive 20 miles there and back each day.  The 1986 gas prices is making at least that easy.  There are supposed to be 24 cases in my county of residence.  All the businesses open here have put orange cloth tape on the floors to mark the interval for socially distanced queuing . 
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

For me, it is business as usual, just without customers. I work at a Toyota dealer in the service dept. I am told that doctors, nurses, first responders etc all need to depend on their cars so we have to be available to service them. The amount of people coming in is about half of what we usually see so making any money is pretty tough since I am on commission pay. In Broward County Florida it is nearly impossible to find toilet paper which I cannot understand. I get hand sanitizer, disinfectant stuff & all that but why toilet paper? Also hard to find bottled water which does not bother me as we do not use it. Just paying attention, not touching anything the public touches which means wearing gloves a lot, keeping distance, washing hands & clothes, all the common sense stuff which is recommended.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

I saw a voicemail from the authority I work for and it was from the general manager.  In addition to thanking us for our work, they are going to give us a $50 bonus to cover our sanitization products that we have had to provide ourselves because the authority has none.  There were 8 cars in a 300 car parking lot for commuters here at this location.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Well that's one good thing, you get covered for sanitizing expense. I've been looking at some videos on you tube, yes some are not reliable. But some are very compelling talking about how China down played this, and is again. Patting them selves on the back for doing a great job with containment.
Really, I think a LOT of other countrys would have something contrary to that statement.
KEN