News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A different type of 20 Hz ringer

Started by TelePlay, May 14, 2020, 11:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Woke up Wednesday morning to my phones ringing, but they weren't.

The ringing was coming from somewhere in our living area (ranch style home) but it wasn't the 554 on our kitchen wall and the other 5 are Trimline and Princess phones, different ringers.

Rang again and thought it might be my AE Railroad phone mounted on a wood wall in the basement. Went down and on the next ring cycle, the phone was silent and the ringing was softer. It had to be upstairs.

Went back upstairs and every time it rang, I moved closer to the sound. Ended up standing right next to my stand alone metal wood burning fireplace in a living room corner. On the next ring, I put my hand on the metal and it was vibrating strongly.

Went outside to discover a large Red Headed Woodpecker sitting on the flat metal chimney top cap which is about a foot in diameter. As I watched him, he began to drum the metal cap and outside it produced a metal gong ringing sound just like my 554.

Had to get out my garden hose to wash him off the cap. He came back this morning 3 times so left the hose out. I think he's getting the message in that the third time today, he took off just seeing me begin to point the nozzle at him. Will know Friday morning about an hour after sunrise.

It's a violation of Federal law to kill a Woodpecker so no go with the 12 gauge. Hose works well.

Did a bit of research to discover they do that to mark their territory and as a mating call. They have no song so have to rely on drumming and metal does produce a loud noise.

And, the rate at which they drum is 20 times a second for about 2 seconds and then wait 20 seconds to repeat the noise. A genuine analog 20 Hz ringer.

FABphones

Aw bless him!

We have Monsieur Woodpecker here periodically, one very tall (well over 50ft) Poplar tree in particular seems a favourite. We discovered this year this old tree is hollow inside (and probably won't remain upright during the next heavy winds), so makes a nice echoey noise when he taps it.

Have never heard a 554 ring so next time he visits the tree I will listen more closely. Guess ours must be the equivalent of a Fred Flintstone 554 ring tone.  ;D
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

dsk

If you have some grease on the cap, he will probably stay away. More fun had to put up a ringer close to the cap and ring back when he starts.  :D

dsk

Scott

I feel for you. We had the same thing for years every spring when a woodpecker would use our metal gutters right outside our bed room window. I never knew why though. Thanks for the insight.

Scott K.

RB

That is Tooo funny!
I have seen/heard that very thing.
Thanks for the morning laugh!!! :D

Key2871

I've had the same thing as well, but on an antenna mast year's ago. The dang bird wouldn't stop, so I borrowed a 22 rifle, missed it by a long shot.. But twice it knew what was coming when I went outside at 5 am..
It never returned.
KEN

Doug Rose

Quote from: david@london on May 15, 2020, 03:00:11 PM
The woodpecker is a beautiful bird. Signalling its presence by tapping on trees and other things is its natural behaviour.

Anyone who attempts to kill a lovely bird like that is an environmental hooligan. You should be ashamed.

David....Agreed! 100%.  We have them in our yard, two different varieties. The are so cool. The grandkids love them. Of course, they were named Woody...by me. The youngsters don't get the old cartoons.

But now they know who Woody is. They ask for him (them) when they visit.....Doug
Kidphone

Key2871

I guess everyone missed when I said missed by a long shot. I was in no way aiming to kill the bird. I was telling it after three weeks of a morning wake up call, to go away, do it anywhere else, not on my house.
But it seems I post something and one of you have to bash me down because of what I said.
Nuf said.
KEN

HarrySmith

Yeah Ken. I caught that. Some people only see what they want to see or read what they want into a statement.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Sorry if feelings were hurt. I like the sound of the woodpeckers on my Birch tree. Just me. Best bugs are in there. They don't go on any other tree.

Only guns I have shoots bubbles. Yes, I am a tough guy.

My apologies ...Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Some of your wording was lost in translation key, I understood it to mean the same as David did. Glad to read otherwise. :)

I must be a tough gal ;D  I learnt to shoot with a 12 bore o/u (clays).
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

david@london

Key,

I see now that you were trying only to scare it away, not to hit it.

Apologies.

Key2871

Well I don't hunt, don't fish. Don't kill any thing unless it's a spider or mosquito.
KEN