News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lost my lake property due to 2 dam failures. Midland MI Is Underwater

Started by Hill Haven Telephone Company, May 21, 2020, 09:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hill Haven Telephone Company

We had heavy rains earlier in the week,  so much that it it flooded out my lake property
The smallwood dam upstream of me failed,   then later that evening,   The Edenville dam downstream of me failed.    The boathouse built in 1935 survived,  the 1950s mobile home we were redoing did not survive.  Its a total loss.    Not to mention the cleanup from from everything that washed up in my yard. 

There is so much Devastation from Gladwin Michigan south to Midland Michigan following the Titabawassee River. 

Here are some pics of the damage

Luckily we werent living there at the time. 

Key2871

Wow, sorry to hear that. Wow, that's a lot of water.
Good luck with everything.
KEN

Yes, it was a good thing that it wasn't your primary home. Was it insured for the flooding?
Best of luck in getting everything back in order.

Western Bell

Yeahmn, ijthat was a bad trhing but that dam's been on the watrch list for at least 16 lyears and the feds kpulled their license to opperate in 2018

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defenders/2020/05/20/investigating-who-is-responsible-for-edenville-dam-failure-that-led-to-devastating-floods/

Historic rainss kdidn't help, ownere inaction didn't eiether

RB

Yes, that was awful.
I am from Minnesota, and a few years back, a bridge collapsed in Minneapolis.
There are a TON of bridges in Minnesota...all bout the same age.
The infrastructure in this country, was built in the 40's, and intended to last about 60 years...
And NONE of it has been properly maintained!
Do the math...There WILL be more failures.

Hill Haven Telephone Company

The TDS Telecom CO in Sanford Michigan is a total loss

Here is a youtube video of the dam failing

https://youtu.be/Hc3u_CHVHJ8

twocvbloke

That's a scary sight to see, the ground just "melting" like that... :o

Here in the UK we had a near-disaster that would have looked just like that, the Whaley Bridge Dam which holds back the Toddbrook Reservoir that is used to supply water to the Peak Forest Canal, and it too suffered lack of maintenance, and the cracked & eroded spillway started to collapse when it was being over-topped, had the fire service & military not been so diligent in shoring up the dam and pumping out the reservoir, the village that butts up to the dam would have been wiped out, not to mention flooding further downstream, I would say I couldn't imagine such a sight, but seeing the footage from Michigan, well, that's exactly what would have happened...

It never ceases to amaze me the sheer ignorance that governments & corporations have to the potential for devastation on the population downstream when they get lazy with maintenance on dams, and when it does happen, they pretty much pull and "oh well, that's life!" attitude when people have lost homes, businesses, property and even life, it's despicable...

Western Bell

The dshydroelectic dam did not fail, it was the deathen berm enxt to the dam that gave way. Wsan't the part fo the problem for this dam with the spill way for the dam not being aslrge enough to drain the lake as it rose, before lit overrtopped the earthern parths of the dam and it pushed out6 at its weakeast poiknt?