Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Here is a 132-A:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

paul-f

Thanks, Greg.

I spent some time with my phones today and found a few more to photograph.  Also found some info in the BSPs and patents.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Sargeguy

Here is a Northern Electric with OPERATOR
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

paul-f

Thanks for the addition, Greg.

I added the NE 164 plate as an afterthought, as it often comes up in WE dial plate conversations, due to their minor differences from the WE 164s.

Is yours marked 164-A?

The one without the "OPERATOR" is marked 164-AX.

I haven't looked for any other NE variations.  Does anyone have catalog info or samples of B, C, D or other NE variations?

poplar1

Quote from: Sargeguy on December 02, 2013, 10:45:42 PM
Found this on a 251.  The phone has a frequency ringer and rubber feet.  Also the fingerwheel was only painted on one side.  I am assuming that it is not a genuine Western Electric dial plate.  The phone has a number card that says "Dial 0 for Long Distance" so this plate would have served the same purpose as a 150-D I guess. 

This same refurbished plate is often seen on  refurbished phones from Surplus Center of Lincoln, NE. I've never seen one labeled 150C or anything else.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

That one was on a Frankenphone that I put new cords on. I scanned the dial before returning it to the customer.  I think it just said 164A with a manufacture date in the 1970s.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

paul-f

Good observation, David.  The only "150C" plates I've held have been unmarked and most of the photos I've been sent so far are unmarked on the front and there has been no back photo provided.  I've marked it as questionable while we research this more.  If not WE, it would be interesting to try to track down who made them.

Also, there is more to learn about the dial plates used on the Connecticut sets.

Has a photo of the back of Larry's 164B-1-56 numbers only plate been posted?
  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8731.msg93942#msg93942

David's is unmarked, and mine has the P-340016 style with only a date code of II-53 on a 6A dial dated 8-53.

Currently looking for photos of #1 dial showing a 131B, 132D, 149C, D and H, and a 150C to fill in the chart.

We should add BSP or catalog references and date ranges for each style.

BDM

I assume this to be a notched 132A. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

paul-f

It certainly looks like it should be one, Brian.

In the language of identifying other antiques, we might attribute it to Western Electric.

It would be reassuring if it had the model number marked on it, as the 132-B posted earlier did.  Without it, we're left wondering whether they assigned a different model number to this one, to reflect its notched configuration, or whether it was made by someone else.

It would also help to find a catalog that shows us how they were ordered.

BDM

Wish I knew Paul. I believe I've had that plate for an easy 20+ years now.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

poplar1

The answer may be in the "1930-31" Western Electric catalog.

paul-f

The dial section of the "1930-31" Western Electric catalog only contains number 2 dials, no number 4 dials.

Catalog 9 complicates things by showing a drawing of what we might expect to be a 132B number plate, but labeling it a 149B plate.  How can this be?  ???

We already have a photo of a similar enamel plate that is clearly marked 132-B.

Has anyone seen a celluloid number plate made in the shape of a 132 plate?  Marked?  Or any plate of this shape marked 149?

Could this be a catalog error?   :o

BDM

Paul/Dave, I compared this with a notchless properly marked 132 plate (rural) that I have (read: identical). I was comparing them side by side just to see if I could find a difference. I kept looking/comparing/re-checking, even measuring what I could and I cannot find a difference. If someone else other than W.E. manufactured this, they did one heck of a job! But as you've stated Paul, that bit of doubt is there without something to physically ID this plate.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

poplar1

The 6L dial on the right has a modified 164D number plate. In addition to the the dots, there are also numerals. I don't know whether this is a legit number plate or not; normally the 164D has dots only:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-Western-Electric-Vintage-6-Telephone-Dials-/201074102152

Sargeguy

It looks like someone used a rubber stamp
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409