News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Heemaf body repair

Started by foots, June 02, 2009, 01:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foots

I've recently gotten a very nice Heemaf phone. I am impressed with the solidness of this phone as well as the sytling of it. My only problem is there is a small chunk missing on the very front edge of the phone body about 2" long and 1/8 - 1/4" high. I'm guessing the body is bakelite. Do any of you know how to repair bakelite? It was suggested that some of you radio collecters may be able to help me. I don't have picture of my phone but will include a reference picture to show the area where mine is damaged.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dan/Panther

Foots;
Cracks in radio cases are easily repaired with a good cleaning, and an application of superglue, then a light sanding smooth, and a polish afterwards.
Missing pieces can be a problem, and most bakelite cases with missing pieces are filled, sanded, and painted a color that would reflect the original colors made by the particular radio manufacturer. Usually a cream or white color. Some will do a custom color for personal choice.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HobieSport

I really like the Heemafs, Joshua and am glad you got one.  Can I ask how much you paid?  I have a 1965 Heemaf just like the one pictured and a 1958 Heemaf with the F1 styled handset.  They sure are heavy and solid, and the styling really stands out compared to all my other phones.  I'm also really impressed with the neat layout of the inside works.  Another nice thing about the Heemafs and PTT Ruens is that it seems that Radio Shack refurbished them before resale, so they tend to be clean, with good cords and in working order.  Good luck on the damage repair.  Yes they are bakelite.
-Matt

foots

Thanks Dan. I'm going to see if I can find someone willing to take on this repair. If I can't find anybody, then I'll try fixing it myself. If bakelite steering wheels with compex curves and such can be repaired/restored, a small flat area on a telephone case shouldn't be a problem. The only color I'd want this Heemaf is black.
Hobie, I paid a total of $43.00 which is a good bit more than I was willing to spend. This is the phone I accidentally won (instead of a Stromberg Carlson that ended with no bids @ $9.99). I too liked the neat layout of the guts - which in my phone look brand new. I seem to have one other problem now, I plug my phone up and get no dial tone or anything. I had found an online guide today and followed it to the letter and still nothing. Can you help me out here? How are your Heemafs wired?

HobieSport

Hi Foots, No, I don't have my Heemafs up and running yet.  Just too busy these days to work on my phones, which I may not get around to until later in the year as Fall and Winter projects.

As for Heemaf prices, I paid $31. for a 1958 Heemaf with the F1 shaped handset, and I think about $15-20 for the 1965 with the flat-topped handset.  There are a couple of Heemafs on Ebay now, one is a Buy It Now for $20., but they have the clear plastic dials, and my personal preference with all my black phones is black dials (or chrome or bronze).  The clear plastic dials on a black phone just don't look as classy to me.

I'm curious why your Heemaf isn't working and hope you can figure it out.

-Matt
-Matt

Dan/Panther

Foots;
Let me clarify what I wrote.
Most bakelite radio cases are marbled, so a straight patch will stick out like a sore thumb. Ona phone that is uniform in color the patch will be much less noticeable. I was thinking of a radio case.
If you can find a black JB weld type substance, that should work perfectly. You can also tint a epoxy resin and get the same results.
D/P

foots

Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 03, 2009, 03:01:22 PM
Foots;
Let me clarify what i wrote.
Most bakelite radio cases are marbled, so a straight patch will stick out like a sore thumb. Ona phone that is uniform in color the patch will be much less noticeable. I was thinking of a radio case.
If you can find a black JB weld type substance, that should work perfectly. You can also tint a epoxy resin and get the same results.
D/P

Sweet - I'm going to see what I can do.

Hobie, I agree with you about the clear plastic finger wheels - they look out of place on Heemafs. As far as the handset, I'm partial to the flat one.

NYFED

FOOTS: I too have 3 Heemafs. I bought the first one to refurb as a gift for my brother.  I think this phone is an EXCELLENT example of the difference in design with European phones of that post-war era.  Regarding the wiring... I too have had some problems.  However, I have this photo and it helped me out tremendously. The Green (service) goes to the orange (may appear to be red) 3rd from the right terminal as you look at the wiring block from the FRONT of the phone.  The red (service) is connected to the terminal on the left of the green connection (4th from the right). I bought all 3 on Ebay for less than $20 a piece.  I had to buy a clear dial model to replace the dial on the black dial model due to the outer ring of the dial (beneath the fingewheel) being chipped. This caused the fingerwheel to hang up and not return properly.  I am having a weird problem with the phone though: It rings SOMETIMES but not all the time.  I am waiting on a heavier gauge wire I ordered to arrive so I can see if that's it. Good luck, buddy!

HobieSport

Thanks for the very helpful photo of the Heemaf wiring, NYFED.  Don't you just love the simple and neat layout of the Heemaf and PTT Ruen interiors?
-Matt

foots

Thanks NYFED, I'm going to tinker with the Heemaf this weekend.

McHeath

Nice neat and tidy interior design on these phones.  Something to be said for good clean layout like that. 

NYFED

FOOTS: BTW, if you make the wire connections shown in the photo you will have to jump the #9 and #10 connections (to the left of the red [service] line). This will solve the ringing problem.  If you have any questions, let me know. GOOD LUCK!

Dan/Panther

Just at a quick glance it appears to me, to be modeled after the 302.
D/P

foots

I've made all the connections just like the picture. I plugged the phone up and get nothing - no dial tone or anything. I'm stumped. As I said before the guts all look new, there is no dust, corrosion, damaged wires, or anything of that nature in there. I have noticed one thing, however, in the picture above, near the center of the phone there is a little tab next to the contacts for the hook switch with a red and green wire. The tab is angled toward the right gong. My phone doesn't have that tab.

JorgeAmely

No dial tone? Check the transmitter circuit for continuity from line cord, dial, network, mike and back to the line. If there is an open somewhere, there is no current drawn by the Central Office, and you get not tone.

Jorge