News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Developed a 500 ringer problem.

Started by Dan/Panther, August 22, 2009, 01:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I have a '54' WE500 SC desk set, it is in excellent original condition. I've used it for quite some time as my desk phone. Now all of a sudden it has developed a weak ringer. No other phones added to the line, just 2 on the line.
Any ideas what might be going on, the ringer has not been taken apart ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

If it was ringing before and it now is weak, then it is probably not related to a bad coil.  First check its connections to the network to make sure it is connected correctly, and that none of its wires or the spade tips have crossed over to another post to accidently connect to another connection it should not be.

Next, check to make sure none of the wires or any other "things" are interfering with the movement of the clapper.  Most of the time on a 500, some of the wires were also wrapped underneath the ringer to dress them up to bring them to the network.  Make sure no wires that run underneath the ringer are getting in the way of the movement.

Check the adjustment of the ringer knob on the bottom of the phone.  (I know, this is way too obvious).

Check the bias spring to make sure it has not become dislodged.

Even though the ringer has not been messed with, us phone collectors are notoriously removing the cover to have a look under the hood.  Something could have been done when putting the cover on the last time.

-Bill G