News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What do you think about stickers and number cards on phones?

Started by Cole, September 12, 2019, 07:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cole

Noticed some of the fresh finds on the forum and seen some on eBay also have stickers applied. Such as numbers for police, etc. What do you think of these? Tacky or tell a story? To me if they're not to obtrusive, and applied neat and straight, they do kind of tell a history of the phone, how long it was in service, etc.

Some of the phones I'm obtaining also have the old number cards on them? Do you leave these intact? I think I'm going to leave mine, since again they tell the history of the phone, what state it was used in, etc.

Key2871

I don't like them, I like my phones as they came out of the box. I remove stickers and 911 labels always.
KEN

Russ Kirk

They do tell a story, but I agree with Ken, I don't like them. They do not enhance the story or add to the appeal.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Doug Rose

I agree, I can't stand them. Worse when you finally  >:( remove them and the color of the phone is not the same as the rest of the phone  :'( :'(....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Agreed, I do not like stickers. I always remove them. Number cards are a different story. As long as they still look decent I keep them. I do not keep hand written or nasty ones though. I also do not put original number cards on phones I sell unless it is something special, usually just a generic Bell logo(with my initials on the back so I know it was mine if I see it in the future)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

If you watch eBay you can find a good deal on large quantities of NOS dial cards. That's what I put in phones I sell. Usually around .20 a piece. Looks nice with a pristine REAL dial card. ..Doug
Kidphone

Key2871

Oh yea, if the number cards are decent I'll keep those because of orinanaity. I've got beige dirty crappy stickers galore, but I remove those stickers cleaned up the set up, and what a transformation. ( dang phone)
KEN

HarrySmith

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 13, 2019, 10:45:33 AM
If you watch eBay you can find a good deal on large quantities of NOS dial cards. That's what I put in phones I sell. Usually around .20 a piece. Looks nice with a pristine REAL dial card. ..Doug

You were right Doug! I just snagged a box of "about 1,000" dial cards for a little over $10.00 shipped! They are even the right area code for South Florida, 305 is Miami.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/About-1000-Number-Cards-for-Rotary-Dial-Telephones-Bell-System-305/223672324778 ( dead link 04-09-21 )
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Quote from: HarrySmith on September 19, 2019, 02:57:38 PM
.....I just snagged a box of "about 1,000" dial cards for a little over $10.00 shipped! They are even the right area code for South Florida, 305 is Miami.

Wow Harry, that was a great buy. Of course now you have to buy 1000 Bell phones for them...  ;D

The GPO issued various models of self inking stamps to add phone numbers to dial cards, do you have the same type of thing there?
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Quote from: HarrySmith on September 19, 2019, 02:57:38 PM
You were right Doug! I just snagged a box of "about 1,000" dial cards for a little over $10.00 shipped! They are even the right area code for South Florida, 305 is Miami.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/About-1000-Number-Cards-for-Rotary-Dial-Telephones-Bell-System-305/223672324778
Outstanding Harry....a lifetime supply! A penny a card....Wow! .....Doug
Kidphone

oldguy

Gary

HarrySmith

Thanks Guys. Now I have to find a numbering kit. I have looked at some kits in the past but without cards it did not seem like a necessary buy.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Harry, I found a numbering kit years back... But the band's were dried out and cracked. Yea it sort of worked. But to use it for numbering with differant numbers, it would not have lasted for that use. So I went to McMaster Carr and found a numbering stamp that the numbers could be changed.
It cost me under ten bucks, only thing I had to do is change the forth band with one with a dash on the band. It was a bit of a pita but I did it, and it worked like a charm.
Just an idea to have you think about, a number kit is fine.
Just those are getting older all the time and rubber dries out and could just fail.
KEN

Russ Kirk

Here is a phone with stickers I forgot I had. It was given to me by a friend that serves in the US Air Force reserves. The story he told me was this simple WE 500 set was used in the control tower on an air base in Arizona. It was used to notify emergency services in case of an airplane crash.

While I do not like stickers, I will keep these on the phone because of the unique story it tells.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Dan/Panther

I remove all EXCEPT those with Funeral Home numbers. of which I have 2.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson