"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Newly Acquired W.E. Metal Base 302

Started by jjflory, October 05, 2019, 08:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjflory

All,

I just got this phone off eBay.  It is a 5H Dial and is stamped H1 on the inside of the metal housing.

However I can't find any Date Stamp in the inside of the base plate.  It appears to be all original so I am confused.

Can anyone let me know why there isn't a Date Stamp?

Thanks,

Jeff

HarrySmith

The date stamp may have been removed by an earlier owner. You can go by the 39 date on the network. It has all the signs of an early one. Screw in feet, early condensor bracket, brown dial gasket and only one hump in the bottom.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

jjflory

Harry,

Thanks for the heads up. BTW...the cord that plugs into the wall is missing.  What is the correct color and type of cord should I look for?  Also if I get an modern plug on the new cord would the phone ring when someone calls? 

Jeff

Ktownphoneco

Jeff  ....   Yes, you can use a modern modular telephone cord.    Connect the green conductor on L1 and the red conductor on L2.     It appears the red conductor from the ringer is connected to the "R" terminal on the 101-A induction coil, which is wrong.     The only conductor that should be connected to the "R" terminal on the coil is the red conductor from the handset.
Connect the red conductor from the ringer to terminal "L-1" on the induction coil.   I've attached a jpeg schematic for the set for a reference if required.     Just ignore the yellow ground connection in the line cord.    It isn't required on modern bridged ringing systems.   Click image to enlarge.

Jeff Lamb     

jjflory

Ktownphoneco

jjflory

Ktownphoneco

I thought it a bit funny, and worth the reply.  :D       Your welcome Jeff.

Jeff   (the other one)

poplar1

WE 302 wired for bridged ringing (non-party line): Red (ring) to L1; Green (tip) to L2
WE 500: Red to L2, Green to L1
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.