News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old Fasioned connector Block sighting

Started by HowardPgh, June 18, 2019, 02:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HowardPgh

These two old boxes are in the basement of where I work.
Howard

Babybearjs

Are they still active? I'd be upgrading them! the 66 blocks are faster to work on...
John

Key2871

Those are old dmarcs, I've seen those before, but not for a while, I doubt there still in use from the looks they are abandoned in place.
KEN

Jim Stettler

We still have at least 1 that is still in use. There are other abandoned ones at other sites.
The one that is in use  is in a High School Stadium concession area. It is no longer considered our Dmarc by Century link. It still has live  pairs for the coin phones that used to be at the stadium. The official Dmarc for the site  is a cross-connect about a block away. We inherited the cable since it is all on our property.
ISTR it is 50 pair and supports 3 security alarms and 2 fire alarm  lines for a total of 2 lines in use .
FACP line 1  then security  panel  1 then security panel 2
FACP line 2 then security  panel 3
There was only 1 line until I realized that the fire alarm contractor used it for both of the required lines.
IF I upgrade to a cellular dialer for the fire alarm,
we can abandon the cable.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

CanadianGuy

I have to deal with these ancient relics almost every day. It blows my mind how much original outside plant and demarc boxes are still being limped along. Interesting that there aren't any protectors on this one. I'd be wary of using 66 blocks. They're so unreliable by todays standards. Our Telco has used Bix for their apartment demarcs for many years now.

Babybearjs

having to use a nut driver isin't that bad.... I still have #44 Blocks in my collection of parts and they do come in handy... having these old thing isin't too bad, at least they are still usable! old parts can always be used! saves money!
John

Jim Stettler

Can wrenches fit these terminals. Early can wrenches also had built in screwdriver bits.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

I think it's a cost thing, that's why so much old stuff like that is still around. Company's don't want to put in New unless necessary, not only the cost of the equipment, but the labor costs as well.
There used to be a installer local, he would throw out almost new boxes of station wire, CP units just used temporary, things like that. Tools, if he did like a screw driver, out it went.
When he was working I found all sorts of useful stuff in the dumpster.
KEN