News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I'm a happy camper!

Started by bingster, September 05, 2008, 09:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

Why am I a happy camper?  Because I've long hoped for a forum like this!  Over the last couple years of searching out phone repair information on the internet, I've run across a thread or two related to vintage phones, but they've always been buried in forums that are dedicated to modern telecommunications. 

My main hobby is collecting old radio shows.  A fellow collector and I run a forum devoted to this, and most of my time is devoted to that pursuit.  I also collect old radios. After all, I have to have something period-correct to listen to the shows on, right?  But I've been collecting telephones since I was 10 or 12 (I'm 41 now).  My first was a soft black 500, and I still have it.  I don't have a large collection, nor do I have anything terribly rare, but they're all older than that trusty, beat up 500, and I wouldn't part with one for anything.  I guess that's the pack-rat in me.

I've been reading your blog, and Dennis' blog, for a few months now, and I've thoroughly enjoyed every post.  I'm really glad somebody finally decided to start a forum!

= DARRIN =

Mark Stevens

Ah bingster, my new best friend... tell me more!  I was always mystified as to why no forum existed for old phone nuts. It's not like there aren't a zillion just like us out there! The W.E. 302's are what attracted me to old phones, but I've learned to appreciate the 500s that I used to take for granted.
A couple of things:
First, your avatar is excellent! Very nice treatment with the colors. I may want to appoint you to a position of importance here... perhaps with the title of Admiral of Avatars. Yea, butter you up, put you to work...no pay... I like the sound of it!
Second, OTR... old radio shows are the best!  I particularly like the horror and sci-fi shows. I'll make an "off topic" area in a minute, if only to talk OTR!
Welcome bingster...don't be a stranger!

bingster

Quote from: Mark on September 05, 2008, 10:13:43 PM
...I've learned to appreciate the 500s that I used to take for granted.
I'm in the same boat.  My first 500 remains my only 500.  After that one kicked off the phone bug in me, I went straight to older phones.  But in the last few months I've been looking at 500s again.  I'd like to start collecting the colored ones, now.  Only ones from the 1950s, though.  Leather feet, hardwired, soft plastic.  I just can't do modular or plastic feet.

A couple of things:
First, your avatar is excellent! Very nice treatment with the colors. I may want to appoint you to a position of importance here... perhaps with the title of Admiral of Avatars. Yea, butter you up, put you to work...no pay... I like the sound of it!
I don't mind!  I do a lot of avatars for the OTR gang, and I actually enjoy it.  I colored the 202 just for my avatar here.  And here's the full-sized colored version for your downloading pleasure.

Second, OTR... old radio shows are the best!  I particularly like the horror and sci-fi shows.
If you have a spare minute, head over to OTRplus.com, and have a look around.  The most important forums are hidden to guests, and the free registration will unlock more downloadable radio broadcasts than you'll be able to listen to in a lifetime.  All for free, of course, as we tend to think of these broadcasts as our priceless heritage that shouldn't be sold. 

= DARRIN =

Mark Stevens

Quote from: bingster on September 05, 2008, 10:46:49 PM
Leather feet, hardwired, soft plastic.  I just can't do modular or plastic feet.
I'm the same about the modular phones. Our curse will come to roost when their value goes up.  We'll look back longingly at the days when they could be had for next to nothing!  :D  Hard-wiring is the first thing I look for, and I used to look specifically for the early black 500s with the metal finger wheels. It seemed that I was finding an awful lot of them, and Dennis confirmed my suspicions... they're fairly common. I still like them though, and always snap up good examples!

And here's the full-sized colored version for your downloading pleasure.
Thank you very much for the 202 picture. It's a beauty! Did you use Photoshop? If so, what version?

If you have a spare minute, head over to OTRplus.com, and have a look around.  The most important forums are hidden to guests, and the free registration will unlock more downloadable radio broadcasts than you'll be able to listen to in a lifetime.  All for free, of course, as we tend to think of these broadcasts as our priceless heritage that shouldn't be sold.
I'm all about the priceless heritage idea. It makes me crazy how many so-called antique phone enthusiasts are so reluctant to share what they have. It's like a competitive thing, and they want to keep a leg-up on everyone else. I'll definitely check out OTRplus.com!

bingster

Yep, I used Photoshop for coloring the image.  I'm using a Mac, so I'm not sure if the version correlates to the PC version, but it's Photoshop CS 8.0.
= DARRIN =

HobieSport

Hey Mark and Bing,

I'm a happy camper too having found the forum.  :)

At first I thought "why are there so few members?"  Then I realized that it's a new forum.  I'm glad I found you guys in the early stages of the forum, and I intend to hang out here a lot and read your blogs too.

I don't know what's with some folks who don't want to share their collections online.  That seems like half of the fun.  You can bet I'll be posting my finds here as I acquire them.

Let me know if I can contribute somehow to the forum besides just posting.  I have basic computer and Photoshop skills too.

Thanks again,  -Matt

Bill Cahill

Guys, I'd also like to add that I, also, am a very happy camper here. All kidding aside, you know I like to joke alot, and, Dan, and, I can really get things junping here. But, seriously, I'm very glad for this forum of yours....
I never used to think much about phones, but, now my interest is peaked. I know I'll probably never be able to afford to buy the goodies you guys get, but, none the less, my interest is peaked. I am most happy to be here.
Thanks, again....  ;D
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

HobieSport

Hey Bill,

Joking and kidding is a good thing.  I love to kid around too; I just  have to make sure I use the winking emoticon when I joke because it's just so darn easy to be misinterpreted in email and forums and cause needless misunderstandings or offense. So bring on the humor! ;D

As for collecting on a budget, I just look for real bargains on Ebay.  So far, as a rank  ;) beginner, I've won an early WE 500 and a 302, and paid 15 bucks each plus 10 dollars shipping. What I look for is dirty phones but in good shape.  I can see some phones where I'll have to pay more, like for a WE 202 or a Monophone Jukebox, but I'm just being persistent and patient and keeping within my low budget.  That's all part of the fun; spending hours hunting on Ebay like Elmer Fudd, being "Vewy vewy qwiet".

I can personally see this as both a hobby and a business; getting old dirty phones, cleaning and refurbishing them, and trading or reselling them to support...what else...my new old phone habit. Basically it should all be fun, in my opinion.  Really serious collectors sometimes scare me. ;)

-Matt

Mark Stevens

Quote from: HobieSport on October 17, 2008, 01:50:35 AM
Let me know if I can contribute somehow to the forum besides just posting.  I have basic computer and Photoshop skills too.

Thanks again,  -Matt

I know what you can do Matt.... help me figure out a design for the Bingster's signature!  Bing is our contest director, and I promised him a nifty custom signature graphic, but I'm stumped. (I'm talking about the big horizontal graphic, not the little square "avatar")  I was trying to make it look similar to the Charter Member sig, but with something that ties it directly to his Contest Director status.  I considered using a trophy on it somewhere, but couldn't make it look right.  Any ideas?  (this'll teach you to offer your help!)   ;)

bingster

Actually, I think I've found one that's pretty cool.   It doesn't have anything to do with a contest director, but isn't a great pic?

= DARRIN =

Mark Stevens

Quote from: bingster on October 18, 2008, 05:15:19 AM
Actually, I think I've found one that's pretty cool.   It doesn't have anything to do with a contest director, but isn't a great pic?

Hey, that picture rocks!  How about I take that and customize it?

benhutcherson

Quote from: Mark Stevens on September 06, 2008, 08:05:26 AM
  Hard-wiring is the first thing I look for, and I used to look specifically for the early black 500s with the metal finger wheels. It seemed that I was finding an awful lot of them, and Dennis confirmed my suspicions... they're fairly common. I still like them though, and always snap up good examples!

Funny that you should mention that they're actually fairly common.

Back in my early days of collecting, a 500 with a metal finger wheel was one of my main collecting goals. I finally found one on an out-of-town trip for $15, a really nice one from '55. I bought it, and it remained my most expensive telephone for a while.

About a week after returning from that trip, I found another one('64, US Signal Corp) in a local antique shop for all of $5.

Then, it wasn't two weeks later that someone gave me a 554 from '64 that also had a metal fingerwheel. This particular telephone, I was told, was an extension phone in the garage, and thus was rarely used. I did nothing to it other than dusting it off with a damp cloth, as it was far too nice as it was to mess with.

So, I suppose, at least in this case, when it rains, it pours.

I now have 7 500-series sets with the metal finger wheels, with base dates ranging from '52 to '75. Also included in that is a pair of 564HD key phones, both of which also have a metal finger wheel.

BDM

Next, find a 302 key-set. I have one in thermoplastic. Would love to find a metal version.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

Quote from: Mark Stevens on October 18, 2008, 06:47:42 AM

Hey, that picture rocks!  How about I take that and customize it?
That would be great!
= DARRIN =