News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another UK Holy Grail.....

Started by JubileeCompact, November 17, 2012, 02:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

70% Isopropyl alcohol is generally very gentle but does dissolve many adhesives.  No matter what is being tried, it should be tested on the inside of the shell first.

Larry

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_collector on November 18, 2012, 09:26:41 PM
WD40 is pretty good at glue goo.

I've tried WD40 in the past for removing sticky label mess, and only found it to make a sticky greasy oily smelly mess... :-\

But then, it is only meant to be Water Dispersant mix no. 40... :D

gpo706

Maplins have their own aerosol lable remover, though I have never used it on phones I must admit.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

JubileeCompact

Here she is :) the back of the number plate could use a respray...

Seamus

LarryInMichigan

What does the button by the cradle do?  Is is a ground start button?

Larry

JubileeCompact

Hey Larry
Its a Call Exchange button- it was used on Shared Service(Party) lines to call the operator or connect to the exchange.
Seamus
Seamus

Owain

According to Hansard in 1953

the shared system in this country affects about 24 per cent. of the residential subscribers, or 18 per cent. of the total number of subscribers. In America, under the Bell system, it affects about 70 per cent. of the subscribers, of which nearly 30 per cent. are actually on a four-party line basis.

AE_Collector

Quote from: JubileeCompact on November 19, 2012, 06:12:24 PM
Its a Call Exchange button- it was used on Shared Service(Party) lines to call the operator or connect to the exchange.
Seamus

So what would one do on a single party line presumably without the Call Exchange button? Do you dial 0 for operator on the GPO system? If so why wouldn't a shared service customer also just dial 0?

Terry

McHeath

Gee you found a 59er, impressive.  My 706 is some sort of mutt that seems to have no clear pedigree or age.  Once in a blue moon I find a 706 for sale over here in a store and they usually want a bajillion bucks for it.  Never are they rare ones like this.

Really like the color, a very nice soft ivory, I suppose it is, very clean.

Does it work?

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_collector on November 19, 2012, 09:02:17 PMSo what would one do on a single party line presumably without the Call Exchange button? Do you dial 0 for operator on the GPO system? If so why wouldn't a shared service customer also just dial 0?

Terry

Not entirely sure on this, but, I think that with a shard service, the Call Exch. button was to tell the equipment, rather than the nice lady at the other end of the line, at the exchange that this party wished to place a call, and thus switched the line over to them and connected their billing timer to the circuit, and then giving you dial tone to dial as normal. On any service, "0" was originally used to call the operator (at a guess, an inherited trait from the original Strowger equipment), but later changed to "100" when they separated the GPO Operator from the Emergency Services ("999")...

Or something along those lines, I'm too young to know how party lines worked on the technical side, I just know anecdotal stuff of people listening into others' calls on shared lines... :D

gpo706

We had a party line for years in the 70's, with a neighbour four doors down, you would need to press the button to get a dialling tone before you could dial anything.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

poplar1

Did the button release the second part of the hookswitch as the 2-step US models did? In other words, before pushing the button, you could listen to  ascertain that no one was talking or dialing and that there was no incoming ringback for another party.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

twocvbloke

Quote from: poplar1 on November 20, 2012, 11:44:34 AM
Did the button release the second part of the hookswitch as the 2-step US models did? In other words, before pushing the button, you could listen to  ascertain that no one was talking or dialing and that there was no incoming ringback for another party.

In my Manual 706, the button fitted is just a microswitch with wires on all three terminals, so you shorted half the line to Earth, which signalled the exchange (on my phone it was probably to call the operator on a PAX or PBX system), so it's not a part of the hookswitch...

GPO diagram N806 shows on Fig.2 how the switch was wired up:

http://www.samhallas.co.uk/repository/n_diagrams/0000/N806.pdf