and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help with a wall Uniphone n.2

Started by JeanFabricio, January 14, 2016, 11:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeanFabricio

Hi.
I'm new here.
I don't work with phones, but I have some experience in restoring antique objects including radios, wood objects, Lambretta, VW Bug, etc.
I bought this Uniphone. It was very dirty and rusty. I disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. I noted all connections before disassembling - I tested and it was working perfectly before.
After reassembly happened that: he gets calls (the bell rings), but there is no sign on the microphone or speaker.
I set up according to my notes and also according to the manual "Wiring Diagram for No. 2 Type Uniphone Equipped sith No. 5 type dial"
I wonder to you guys: what I did wrong?

The photos shows the Uniphone now.

poplar1

For starters, the same color wire (blue) should be on both BK inside the handset and BK on the dial. You have the blue wire on R inside the handset, and the red wire on BK. Try reversing these inside the handset.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Ktownphoneco

Unless I'm looking at the picture incorrectly, the 2 spring terminals inside the transmitter cavity are reversed, and it appears therefore, one isn't making any contact at once the transmitter cartridge is installed.

Jeff Lamb

NorthernElectric

One thing that I see is that you have the red and blue connections wrong in the handset.  The original handset cord would have red, white, and black wires where yours has red, white, and blue.  It looks like the blue wire is used as the black where it connects to the dial, but not at the other end.  If you look at the connections under the transmitter in the handset, you have the red wire connected to 'BK' and the blue wire connected to 'R'.  Since you should use the blue as the black it should be on BK and the red on R.
Cliff

Ktownphoneco

Sorry, my fingers didn't do what my brain was telling them to do   ....  correction   ...."one probably isn't making any contact at all once the transmitter cartridge is installed".

Jeff

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on January 14, 2016, 11:47:57 AM
Unless I'm looking at the picture incorrectly, the 2 spring terminals inside the transmitter cavity are reversed...

Good eye Jeff.  So both the wires and the contacts are reversed.
Cliff

Ktownphoneco

I think so Cliff, but it's hard to try and trace wires when one has to move from one picture to another, plus even though the handset cord colors are not the normal colors associated with a handset cord, I would have tried to at least get 2 ( the red and the white )of them terminated correctly, and theoretically made the blue wire "black" for the sake of simplicity and the the circuit.      The set is missing a terminal strip, and I think the fellow has the red from the handset jumpered with another wire on a dial screw on the right hand side of the dial, but I can't see where it goes once I jump to the next picture.

Jeff

poplar1

Red handset wire should go to R on the 101A induction coil in the base of the phone.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

NorthernElectric

I am guessing that your handset is one of the NU handsets.  I don't have any of those to refer to but I found this photo that shows the correct position and orientation of the contacts and the connections.  Can you post a photo of your transmitter element?
Cliff

NorthernElectric

Quote from: poplar1 on January 14, 2016, 12:49:32 PM
Red handset wire should go to R on the 101A induction coil in the base of the phone.

That one looks like it might be right, subject to difficulties following the wires in the photos.  The wiring diagram shows the red handset wire connected to terminal #4 with a jumper wire from there to R on the coil.  Jeff says there is a terminal strip missing, so someone may have used a screw that was handy to make this connection.  I have marked what I think is a red cloth covered wire that goes from the screw that the red handset wire is connected to, loops back and into a wiring harness that leads to the base.  In the base photo it looks like there is a red cloth covered wire that comes out of the wiring harness, goes underneath the coil, and connected to R.
Cliff

Ktownphoneco

Although the attached picture is of a Uniphone Model 2 in Walnut, and with an A.E. dial, rather than a type 5 dial, it does clearly show the factory terminal strip that was installed in both the model 2 and the model 1 Uniphones during manufacture.     

Attn:  Cliff - NorthernElectric -   Check your personal messages folder.     I'm going to send you a message in a moment.   Tks.            ...  Jeff

JeanFabricio

Quote from: poplar1 on January 14, 2016, 11:45:32 AM
For starters, the same color wire (blue) should be on both BK inside the handset and BK on the dial. You have the blue wire on R inside the handset, and the red wire on BK. Try reversing these inside the handset.

Hi. It was working like the photo shows. I tried the two ways: blue on R and blue on BK.

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on January 14, 2016, 11:47:57 AM
Unless I'm looking at the picture incorrectly, the 2 spring terminals inside the transmitter cavity are reversed, and it appears therefore, one isn't making any contact at once the transmitter cartridge is installed.
Jeff Lamb

Jeff, it was setting and working. Maybe because the "element" (I don't know the name in english [microphone?], sorry) is a brazilian one and made in 1979 - see the photo above, please. Note: the center needs the terminal lower and the border needs the terminal higher. Both terminals touch the "element".

Quote from: NorthernElectric on January 14, 2016, 11:49:04 AM
One thing that I see is that you have the red and blue connections wrong in the handset.  The original handset cord would have red, white, and black wires where yours has red, white, and blue.  It looks like the blue wire is used as the black where it connects to the dial, but not at the other end.  If you look at the connections under the transmitter in the handset, you have the red wire connected to 'BK' and the blue wire connected to 'R'.  Since you should use the blue as the black it should be on BK and the red on R.

I understood that and I did that... Thanks.

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on January 14, 2016, 12:28:47 PM
I think so Cliff, but it's hard to try and trace wires when one has to move from one picture to another, plus even though the handset cord colors are not the normal colors associated with a handset cord, I would have tried to at least get 2 ( the red and the white )of them terminated correctly, and theoretically made the blue wire "black" for the sake of simplicity and the the circuit.      The set is missing a terminal strip, and I think the fellow has the red from the handset jumpered with another wire on a dial screw on the right hand side of the dial, but I can't see where it goes once I jump to the next picture.
Jeff

Jeff, I don't know if I understood your text, but:
- yes, the cord isn't the original cord and the colors are White, Red and Blue. So the blue "plays" the black one.
- I've try to take ONE big picture: http://i.cubeupload.com/K9ZdGg.jpg

Quote from: poplar1 on January 14, 2016, 12:49:32 PM

Hi. And it is.

Quote from: NorthernElectric on January 14, 2016, 01:55:26 PM
That one looks like it might be right, subject to difficulties following the wires in the photos.  The wiring diagram shows the red handset wire connected to terminal #4 with a jumper wire from there to R on the coil.  Jeff says there is a terminal strip missing, so someone may have used a screw that was handy to make this connection.  I have marked what I think is a red cloth covered wire that goes from the screw that the red handset wire is connected to, loops back and into a wiring harness that leads to the base.  In the base photo it looks like there is a red cloth covered wire that comes out of the wiring harness, goes underneath the coil, and connected to R.

I don't found the "terminal #4", but I connected as it was (remember, I tested before the cleanning). What is "terminal strip"?

Thank you all!

NorthernElectric

Your transmitter looks similar to a Northern or Western Electric F1 but it looks like it might be thicker and push down on the spring contacts farther.  I see that you have swapped the blue and red wires but you should also swap the spring contacts.  The way yours are, when you put the transmitter in and screw down the cap, they might touch and short the transmitter as well as connecting the receiver to the BK contact.  I have put yours side by side with one that has the contacts positioned correctly.

Cliff

Babybearjs

heres a good question.....why didn't W.E. have this phone to go along with the rest of the 300 line? or was this a unique design that only Canada wanted???
John

Ktownphoneco

The Uniphone was produced by Northern in Montreal.    It went into general production in Sept. of 1935.     It was produced until the mid 1950's and it was marketed to independent telephone companies throughout North America.     Northern developed the set to combat competition from one or two other telephone makers in the U.S.A. who had already produced a combined telephone set, and Northern was loosing business.      However, Northern had a lot of help from Western who were still in the throws of testing and final preproduction issues of the 302 model.     As is quite obvious, most of the components of the Uniphone were developed by Western or Bell Labs at some point in the preceding months or years.    Northern itself, designed the cases for both base models of the set, ( the model 1 and the model 2 ) and they developed the original "N" series handsets ( the NF and the NU ) handset, but the receiver and transmitter in those handsets, were also developed by Western.
The Uniphone was never used by Bell Canada, it was make strictly for independent telephone companies.    Bell Canada ( and Northern ) was a Bell System company, and chose to wait until Western released the 302 and it's variants, for general production, at which time, and under the agreements which existed between the two companies, Northern commenced production of the 302 telephone set for the needs of Bell Canada.  It's my contention that there were probably more Uniphones sold to independent telephone companies in the U.S.A., than in Canada.

I may have missed some information, but I thinks that's the gist of it.

Jeff Lamb