News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

mystery oak sub or ringer box

Started by Jf510, January 20, 2016, 11:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jf510

I bought this box at a phone show from a daughter of a phone collector who passed away. He use to work for Automatic Electric Telephone. She knew nothing about it and I cannot find any info on it to see what it looked like in original condition. He also obviously converted it. It says 189 on the top edge and on the bottom from left to right 1, 2, L1, G and L2 below each lugs. I see no other markings.  I did refinish the box because it had a terrible finish on it. It looks like one of the ringer wires goes to the G lug which he strapped to the L2 lug. The other lead goes to the yellow capacitor and connected to L2 on the net. As for the two side metal capacitors the blacks leads are connect together and both yellows are connected to the C on the net. Can anyone give me some info on it and with the way it was converted can I use it as a sub-box or ringer box for let's say a Western Electric 202? How would I wire it? Thanks so much

poplar1

This box has been updated by the addition of an induction coil and three capacitors, making it acceptable as an anti-sidetone subset.

The yellow capacitor is for the ringer. The ringer would connect to L1 and to the wood screw next to the yellow capacitor.

The box could be used with a 202 by connecting the 202 to R, GN, L2Y (terminals on the 101A induction coil) and to the terminal where the two black wires from the gray capacitors connect (not C).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jf510

Thanks..I will give that a try. Would you happen to know who was the original manufacture of the box? I didn't find anything that looked like it on line.

Sargeguy

Hard to say.  It most likely had a decal or plate on the front that is long gone.  A lot of companies used that type (round) lock.  Generic plain wooden boxes were also sold to shops that built there own.  I know it is not a Western Electric, which would have been stamped with various marks.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Here's another one that is very similar to yours.  Appears to be all AE, but with the WE transformer.   There must have been a shop building these subsets at some time.
Dave

Jf510

Thanks for the info. I thought it might be an automatic electric telephone product and thanks to poplar1 for that wiring info. It worked like a charm.