News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need Help Wiring a 50AL - Upgraded to 151AL w/ 5H Dial & NE 585A Subset

Started by gands-antiques, February 11, 2016, 02:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

I have decided to use a 684A Subset instead of the 585A subset.
New pictures of the 684A have been posted.

(1) The main connections I am not sure about are where do the (3) wires coming from the the hook switch wiring harness go and where do the (2) transmitter wires go? 

(2) Also, I'm not sure which wires go to the R/GN small terminal pad and which wires go to the B-Y/RR small terminal pad?

Help with the these areas above would really help me get the desk set wired correctly.

========================

I have attempted to wire my 151AL with a 685A subset without much luck. 
.......I have changed over to a 684A subset....

I would like to get corrected wire to terminal instructions (like below) if possible.
------------------------------
Below is how I have wired it so far....it isn't doing anything...no dial tone, ring, nothing

685A subset:
L1 on terminal strip - jumper to L1 on Network 
L2 on terminal strip – jumper to L2 on network 
L2 on terminal strip - jumper to RR on network
Yellow deskset cord to L2 on network 
On network - jumper RR to L1 

Network:
Red deskset to R on network
Green deskset to GN on network
Green line cord to L1 on network
Red line cord to L2 on network

Inside the phone:
Transmitter: One transmitter wire in the wiring harness to BK on dial
The other transmitter wire goes to YY on hook switch??? * I don't understand how to connect the long white transmitter wire that is down in the base area to YY on the hook switch. Currently this wire is not connected to anything.  A lot of my problems may be with the transmitter wire that isn't connected.

Receiver:
One wire to GN on small terminal board in base of phone   
Other receiver wire to W on the dial

Hook switch:
YY to transmitter (see above)
R to R on small terminal board in base of phone (wire is inside harness)   
BB to BB on the dial (wire is inside harness) 

Dial: (I believe there are too many wires connected to the dial)??
Transmitter to BK
BK hook switch to BK 
BB hook switch to BB
BK deskset to BK
Receiver wire to W
Yellow deskset to Y
Jumper R to BB (For 5H dial)

4 Conductor Deskset cord:
Red to R on small terminal board in base of phone
Green to GN on small terminal board in base of phone
Yellow to Y terminal on dial
Black to BK on dial??

In addition to the R-GN small terminal block, are any wires supposed to be connected to the BY-BR small terminal block?  Both blocks were clamped in the base when I bought the phone but unfortunately I didn't take any pictures before I removed everything to get the stem and base powder coated. Currently, I don't have any wires connected to the BY-BR small block. 

All help is appreciated....

Thanks,
Gary

poplar1

Quote from: gands-antiques on February 11, 2016, 02:59:41 PM

685A subset:
L1 on terminal strip - jumper to L1 on Network 
L2 on terminal strip – jumper to L2 on network 
L2 on terminal strip - jumper to RR on network
Yellow deskset cord to L2 on network 
On network - jumper RR to L1 

Without reading any further,
If you  have the line from the wall connected to L1 and L2 on the terminal strip, and a "jumper from RR to L1", and another jumper
from L2 to RR, then, in effect you have shorted L1 and L2 (the incoming line). This would prevent all phones on the line from working.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

gands-antiques

The line cord from the wall is connected to Li and L2 on the network and there are jumpers from L1 on the strip to L1 on the network and L2 on the strip to L2 on the network. 

Maybe I should move all of the wires on the strip to the network?

Thanks,
Gary

G-Man

See if this helps...
Wiring diagram derived from Bell System Practice in the TCI Library.

gands-antiques

Thanks,

It does help some but I would really like to get a complete diagram that includes the hook switch, dial,
base of 151AL, terminal strip and network or a wire to terminal list similar to the one I have been working with.

Thanks,
Gary 

G-Man

Quote from: gands-antiques on February 11, 2016, 05:43:21 PM
Thanks,

It does help some but I would really like to get a complete diagram that includes the hook switch, dial,
base of 151AL, terminal strip and network or a wire to terminal list similar to the one I have been working with.

Thanks,
Gary 

I don't understand, could you please clarify your request? Doesn't this diagram show the switchook, dial, etc. or are you looking for something else?
Thanks

Jack Ryan

Quote from: G-Man on February 11, 2016, 06:36:13 PM
I don't understand, could you please clarify your request? Doesn't this diagram show the switchook, dial, etc. or are you looking for something else?

The problem might be that the subset (network) is not included in the diagram.

Jack

gands-antiques

I'm using a 4 conductor mounting cord for a 151AL, 5H dial and 684A subset and not a 5 conductor cord. Will a 4 conductor cord work?

Thanks,
Gary

unbeldi

Quote from: gands-antiques on February 11, 2016, 08:47:08 PM
I'm using a 4 conductor mounting cord for a 151AL, 5H dial and 684A subset and not a 5 conductor cord. Will a 4 conductor cord work?

Thanks,
Gary

It really is all explained in that post.

gands-antiques

Thanks,

I do see some of what I need and also see I was part of that post last year. 

If possible, I would really like to get a diagram or list of wiring connections that include the wiring connections for the hook switch wiring harness, the two small terminal blocks, 4 conductor mounting cord, 5H dial and 684A subset.

Thanks,
Gary

gands-antiques

Thanks Poplar,

I don't know what a 211 hand telephone is and the diagram is for a 585A subset so I don't think it will work.

Would it be possible for you to provide a list of all of the wire connections for a 151AL, hook switch harness, small terminal blocks, 5H dial and 684A subset like you did last year (below)

=======================
poplar1
Re: Need Wiring Diagram For 151AL Candlestick, 5 Conductor Mounting Cord & 302 Base
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 04:46:06 PM »

Here is a photo  showing the base of a 151-AL. I'll try to find a photo of the hookswitch.

Harness:
Receiver:
Transmitter:
684A Subset:
5H Dial:
4 conductor mounting cord:

Thanks,
Gary

poplar1

The link was supposed to take you to the specific reply from 04:46 PM, Feb. 19, 2015. Here is what I was trying to link to; it also had a picture of the base of the 151AL:

Harness:
(BLUE) from B on hookswitch to B-Y on left terminal block
(YELLOW) from  Y on hookswitch to Y on dial
(RED) from  YY-R on hookswitch to R on right terminal block
(DOUBLE BLUE) from BB on hookswitch to BB on dial
(BLACK) from Transmitter to BK on dial

Other transmitter wire to YY-R on hookswitch.  (This is the short wire, not part of the harness.)

Receiver to GN on right terminal block and W on dial

4-CONDUCTOR DESK STAND CORD FROM SUBSET TO PHONE:
Inside subset:                                                     Inside 151-AL:
GN on induction coil                Green to GN right terminal block
R on induction coil                   Red to R on right terminal block
L2Y terminal                           Yellow to B-Y on left terminal block
BK terminal                            Black to BK on dial  (Ignore the "Y-BK" terminal drawn on the diagram)

Also, please provide a picture of the hookswitch. It should have 4 terminals for connecting wires, not 3.

poplar1

In the photo, you have the yellow wire from the phone connected to L1 on the 101A induction coil. It should be on L2Y.