News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE candlestick to WE 300N wiring problems

Started by Jf510, February 15, 2016, 10:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jf510

I have a Western Electric candlestick that I am trying to wire to a Western Electric 300N box. I am pretty sure the candlestick is wired properly and I connected the 3 colors to the 300N but I get nothing. I moved the capacitor wire around then a few other wires around but still nothing. I got a quick chirp on the ringer and at one point the dial tone shorted (intercept) when I tried to call using my cell. I really don't know what to do next. Could I get this to work with a dial tone and ring on the box or would his set-up not work? The only wiring diagram I found on line had the original wiring which I have now. Thanks.

Ktownphoneco

The 300 series subscriber set ( sub-set ) was / is designed for local battery operation, with 2 or 3 dry cell telephone batteries located in a metal box, usually mounted on the wall in close proximity to the 300 sub-set..       
If it hasn't been re-wired from local battery, to common battery operation, it won't function with your current telephone line, which is common battery ( I'm assuming here that your current telephone line is being provided by a local telephone company ).
The sub-set need to be re-wired in order for it to function as a common battery set.   The induction coil that's installed in the sub-set was specifically designed for local battery operation.    It probably won't function as efficiently as an induction coil designed for common battery operation, but it should still function to a more or less satisfactory degree.     The Telephone Collectors International Library probably won't have a schematic showing the 300 sub-set wired for common battery operation, unless someone has created such a drawing on their own, and uploaded it to the library.

Jeff Lamb

Jf510

I do have a land line from AT&T but I thought I would be able to make it work but I see what your saying. I was hoping to get it to work somewhat. Thanks for that info.

unbeldi

I think you should be able to make it work without much modification, if you are willing to get yourself a dual C-cell or D-cell battery holder.  Alternately you can use many cell phone chargers if their DC output is well filtered, as to not introduce humming into the speech circuit.  The battery is needed to provide power for the transmitter.  In common-battery telephones this is obtained from the line.  In these local-battery sets, however, the transmitter circuit is isolated or at least separate from the line, and instead the receiver is in the local loop.  Having the DC on the line is not ideal for the audio performance of these, but it should work.

I don't have a specific 300N diagram ready-made, but the 300-series were all very similar and based on the identical circuit.  Below I am showing a 315 deskset box with a No. 20 or 40AL candlestick.

The line connects to L1 and L2.

Often these set had a capacitor (=condenser) installed, which was often called a Sure-Ring capacitor. It was installed in the receiver (RX) circuit to prevent the line from being essentially dead if a subscriber left the set off-hook by mistake.  This would create a very low impedance on the line (100-200 ohms), and the operator was unable to ring anyone on the line.
If your set has such a condenser installed it would not be able to pickup an incoming call.  It needs to be removed.

poplar1

You would also need to install a capacitor in series with the ringer. Otherwise, it will make the line busy (like having another phone off the hook at all times).

You may also want to disconnect the generator if you plan to connect it to a modern line. Someone I know had a visit from the BellSouth tech when he was sending 90 Volts AC from the hand generator towards the central office.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on February 15, 2016, 05:47:15 PM
You would also need to install a capacitor in series with the ringer. Otherwise, it will make the line busy (like having another phone off the hook at all times).

You may also want to disconnect the generator if you plan to connect it to a modern line. Someone I know had a visit from the BellSouth tech when he was sending 90 Volts AC from the hand generator towards the central office.

Yes, thanks for that addition, which I forgot.  If your set does have the sure-ring condenser it can be repurposed as a ringer condenser.

Jf510

Thanks for that info. It's a tad over my head but I will try and figure it out on all your advice.