"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

No phone service

Started by cloyd, March 10, 2016, 03:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloyd

Oops.

I have been working with the phone wiring in the house and thought I could use a particular phone line because it was at the end of a line.  I moved it from the data line connections to the phone (VoIP) converted phone connections and lost phone service.  The internet still works fine.  I restored the original connections but still can't get phone service, not even when I plug directly into the "phone-out" on the converter.  (This is what I am calling the converter: Netgear WGR613V 54Mbps Wireless G Router with VoIP Phone Adapter).

How can I figure out where the problem lies?

Thank you for the help,

Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

jsowers

Tina, have you tried rebooting the router box? Sometimes they get finicky when you change connections. I don't have VOIP, but mine has needed a reboot once or twice since October. You could also call your service provider, if you have a cell phone, and tell them it's not working and see what they can do on their end. Sometimes there are outages--this happened to my mom's VOIP recently, but her internet was also down. I got a recording saying it was a problem at Time-Warner and they had it fixed the following day.

I assume you've plugged a working analog phone into the box to test it right at the box, which I think is what you said about plugging directly in.

Hope you get it working!
Jonathan