and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO 706 finger plate, number ring and dial ring questions

Started by FABphones, July 05, 2018, 09:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy1702

Quote from: FabPhones on July 23, 2018, 05:32:45 PM
Photo from above linked website.

The problem with that description (which looks like a dial 12 and would be pre-700 seriese phones) is that what they are calling the 'number plate' didn't actually have any numbers on it (or anything else for that matter) whan the dial 21 was forst introduced on the 7xx range phones. The numbers etc were on a bezel around the dial, whichw as part of the case, not part of the dial.

This is where the terminology between US and UK can get a bit confusing. I agree it's a case of boot/trunk, bonnet/hood etc.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

FABphones

Quote from: andy1702 on July 24, 2018, 11:09:04 AM
The problem with that description (which looks like a dial 12 and would be pre-700 seriese phones) is that what they are calling the 'number plate' didn't actually have any numbers on it (or anything else for that matter) whan the dial 21 was forst introduced on the 7xx range phones. The numbers etc were on a bezel around the dial, whichw as part of the case, not part of the dial.

In order not to over complicate, the question here is the terminology 'finger plate' or 'finger wheel'. That photo is as clear as day. They are calling the finger wheel a finger plate.

I use both terms. Both are correct.

So there.  :P

:) ;)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

ThePillenwerfer

If you look at the same site's official GPO information for Dials, No21 (http://britishtelephones.com/dial21.htm) you'll see that the terms Finger Plate and Number Ring are used on that too.

Finger Wheel and even Finger Dial are used by some dealers selling spares.

As has been stated such arguments are futile as terms vary over time.  For instance what we all know as a Handset was initially called a Hand Micro Telephone.  The GPO later changed this to Handset in their internal documents but called it a Receiver in those for public consumption — see for instance the instructions in 'phone boxes (or Public Call Offices to be pedantic) for contacting the Emergency Services.

twocvbloke

andy1702

Quote from: ThePillenwerfer on July 24, 2018, 12:02:53 PM
If you look at the same site's official GPO information for Dials, No21 (http://britishtelephones.com/dial21.htm) you'll see that the terms Finger Plate and Number Ring are used on that too.

That site is good, but no website should be totally relied on for all it's information to be correct. The GPO could get things wrong too! One of the difficulties is that when the 7xx series phones came along they had extra parts (eg the bit around the dial with the numbers letters actually printed on it) that hadn't existed in previous designs. So what do they call it? Personally I call it a dial bezel, but I can imagine the GPO had some strange almost backwards sounding name for it like perhaps "surround, dial, something, something, something"
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

FABphones

Well it's done :)

One centre screw and it was on. Just one piece so not as many parts as the older versions I'm used to - I was over thinking this one  :o.  It came with a nice thick original opal too. It's good when a joblot starts to earn its keep. The phone looks so much nicer now it is back to its original spec.

Before and after photos attached, they are via my iPad so not great quality - I don't know what the little speckles are, they aren't on the phone so poss reflections, Diakon is very glossy.

Thanks everyone.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Hotline

That looks like a lovely phone back to original specification, well done!

Diakon is so much better than the later ABS, much more glossy!

twocvbloke

Looks good, they definitely look more appealing when the dial is a matching colour rather than a fake-metal one... :)