News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is this hole in the bottom of AE 40s?

Started by Greg G., October 29, 2012, 10:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I checked the two I have, one has remnants of a rubber gasket, the other has nothing like in the picture.  It seems to be directly below the ringer magnet.  What is it's function?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

HowardPgh

I think all AE 40s have that hole. It should have a rubber grommet in it. I think its only purpose is to be a resting place and isolation bumper for the longer magnet on the original ringers. The ringer rests on three grommets, the 2 with screws and the one in the hole. This isolation makes for the pleasant ring.
Howard
Howard

twocvbloke

Could be for a drain plug for the ringer fluid.... :D

(if you believed a dodgy repairman that is!!)

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

It's a vent hole to keep the phone from blowing up under high pressure, especially with the undue pressure caused by trying to ring a frequency ringer with standard ringing current.
-Bill G

DavePEI

Quote from: Phonesrfun on October 30, 2012, 02:46:06 PM
It's a vent hole to keep the phone from blowing up under high pressure, especially with the undue pressure caused by trying to ring a frequency ringer with standard ringing current.
Well, sort of right, but it is a vent to let out the hot air some people create when they talk on the phone. It can't all fit through the wires. I had to drill a vent hole in my wife's phone and crazy glued the handset on her ear so she can make her two hour phone calls several times a night. Looks odd, but somehow suites her.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

dsk

Quote from: Dan/Panther on October 30, 2012, 01:40:38 PM
It's for spiders and bugs to get in.
D/P

Partly right.
The original setup was like this. And it want ring if the opening is closed.

dsk

TelePlay

It's obviously a wall mount, to be hooked on a nail or screw sticking out of the wall . . .  ;)

Greg G.

Quote from: HowardPgh on October 30, 2012, 09:50:05 AM
I think all AE 40s have that hole. It should have a rubber grommet in it. I think its only purpose is to be a resting place and isolation bumper for the longer magnet on the original ringers. The ringer rests on three grommets, the 2 with screws and the one in the hole. This isolation makes for the pleasant ring.
Howard

What could one get that would be a suitable replacement for the missing rubber grommet?  I thought somebody mentioned something you could get at an auto parts store, but now I can't find it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

Quote from: Brinybay on November 02, 2012, 03:47:52 PM
Quote from: HowardPgh on October 30, 2012, 09:50:05 AM
Howard

What could one get that would be a suitable replacement for the missing rubber grommet?  I thought somebody mentioned something you could get at an auto parts store, but now I can't find it.

I went looking for grommets to fix the ringer on a 302 and found that major ACE or TrueValue hardware stores had a large selection of grommets. You have to ask them where they are in the store but once you find the shelf and have the measurement of the hole, you may find one that fits quite nicely.

Those are the hardware stores in my area. You may have others in your area. Radio Shack sells a bag of assorted grommets but unless you want to buy a bag, you can't measure them.