"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Swiss Made" phone on eBay

Started by Sargeguy, January 06, 2014, 02:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 07, 2014, 08:07:29 AM
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that one moment the base has a modular socket for the line, then has a short length of cable with an RJ11 on it? ???

Well, a small box or stand to get the phone eye level with your modular wall jack and it's "READY TO PLUG IN TO YOUR HOME OUTLET.  IT HAS A STANDARD RECEPTACLE NEW CORD PLUG IN," all 4" of it. But, used that way, it certainly won't take up any room on a desk or table that way either. But I see what you mean. One inside photo shows a modular plug and the other inside photo shows a 4" line cord. Curious, isn't it? And that modular plug shown on the base would never fit the mouse hole in the shell.

Contempra

Curious yes teleplay,, I won't buy a frankeinphone like this :D ,. with time I began to learn a lot of things here on this forum. The phone line is too short too..

Matilo Telephones

The seller is confusing Swiss and Swedish. He´s trying to make some sort of quality claim by saying it is `quality Swiss made`.

Oh well, he probably can´t even point out Switserland and Sweden on a map.

Love that remark that this Phone is from the collection of one of the first telephone repairmen in the western North Carolina area.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Contempra

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on January 08, 2014, 05:01:34 AM
The seller is confusing Swiss and Swedish. He´s trying to make some sort of quality claim by saying it is `quality Swiss made`.

Oh well, he probably can´t even point out Switserland and Sweden on a map.

Love that remark that this Phone is from the collection of one of the first telephone repairmen in the western North Carolina area.

lol Arwin we all know that switzerland and sweden are not the same country :D this seller is confused.

Matilo Telephones

Sorry Denis, didn´t mean to imply that you do not.
Groeten,

Arwin

Contempra

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on January 08, 2014, 11:36:21 AM
Sorry Denis, didn´t mean to imply that you do not.

Don't worry arwin I understood but I just repeated one thing to be clear between Switzerland and Sweden ( Suisse et  Suède ) :D

Sargeguy

Yes Switzerland and Sweden are two separate countries, just like Germany and France or Holland and the Netherlands.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Matilo Telephones

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 08, 2014, 07:34:04 PM
Yes Switzerland and Sweden are two separate countries, just like Germany and France or Holland and the Netherlands.

Eh? Holland and the Netherlands are the same country.
Groeten,

Arwin

twocvbloke

I daren't say anything, I'm somewhat geographically challenged, heck I didn't know until fairly recently that Switzerland was above Italy... ;D

Sargeguy

QuoteHolland and the Netherlands are the same country.

So Holland is a part of the Netherlands, like Flanders?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Matilo Telephones

Flanders is a part of Belgium, but a Belgian will never say Flanders meaning the whole country.

It more like England and the UK. Pars pro toto. 

Especially in English a Dutchman most of the times will say he is form Holland, rather than the Netherlands.
Groeten,

Arwin

Sargeguy

OK.  So in Flanders they do not speak Dutch, they speak Flemish or Fench?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 09, 2014, 10:05:56 AM
OK.  So in Flanders they do not speak Dutch, they speak Flemish or Fench?
Well, they do speak Dutch there officially, but commonly it is a dialect, called Belgian Dutch which is also called Flemish. It is hard to generalize the area, the definition of Flanders has changed slightly over history. A very rich history, in terms of culture and money.

Also interesting for telephone history, because Antwerp is located there, the home of Western Electric's former parts, BTMC, etc.

Sargeguy

So, the people of Flanders who speak Dutch are Belgians (unless they are in French Flanders, in which case they are French) but they are not Dutch they are Flemings, and the Flemings speak Flemish, not Dutch, except for that part of Flanders that is in the Netherlands where the Flemish-speakers are actually Dutch?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

twocvbloke

The only thing I know about Belgium is they make great fries, decent chocolate, and people ridicule them for being too passive, nice looking country though... :)