News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric sloped hook problems

Started by Sargeguy, April 06, 2011, 08:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I have a nickel plated 20PC that just arrived (eBay $44).  It is an interesting mix of really old and very old parts.  

The base is older-it has the bakelite grommet lining the cord hole. The baseplate is missing.  

It has the older "sloped" hook, although it has the newer "drawn" perch.  

The bulldog transmitter is housed in an un-marked uninsulated transmitter cup.  

It has original cords in nice shape, not sure these are WE or not.  

There is a 143 transmitter but I am not sure if the cap is WE or something else.  Have a look:

The hook keeps catching on the switch, locking the in the down position.  

Is there a different switchplate or switch pile that goes with this hook???
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

I'm not sure about the switch, but that's a nice phone for $44!
= DARRIN =

rdelius

That cap is Kellogg. The subset cord looks like a Runzel and the rec cord a WE. I think this set should have green cords because of the nickel finish
Robby

cihensley@aol.com

I believe the long arm from the switch pile up should be on the other side of the switch hook metal protrusion. Only the rubber tipped protrusion should contact the switch pile up.

Chuck

Sargeguy

This is from Wistful Vista's site:

20-PC – For regular local battery bridging or central battery service.  Insulated transmitter – Nickel plate
            Includes:       1 – No. 20-PC desk stand

1 – No.  291-W transmitter

1 – No. 143-W receiver

The 20PC is the nickel version of the 20AL

I compared it to one of my 20ALs and the switch and bracket match.  It seems that the hook is out of place.  I don't think the perch and switch pile goes with this phone at all.  All the other parts seem older (except the transmitter) and that is definitely an uninsulated cup. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phonesrfun

I think the hook is the wrong style.  I agree with Chuck.  Only the rubber tip should contact the switch leaf.  I compared your hook picture to an older 20U that I have, and the hook is quite different.

-Bill G

Sargeguy

I switched the perch and switch bracket with a 20-B solid perch and bracket from the parts bin.  The holes that attach the bracket to the solid perch are slightly lower.  The hook fits this perch just fine.  
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The phone is now much happier as a 20B

The 293A wall phone is missing its 229 transmitter, and the 20-S will have to wait for its OST, but I think this one is a keeper.  I plan to swap the 20PC perch with the 20T.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phonesrfun

Ahhh, much better.  That sloped hook is older than the kind I have on my 20U.  Great find.
-Bill G