News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

5302 Find

Started by Dan, January 09, 2010, 06:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I was lucky to find a 5302 with a G-1 handset at my local flea-tique store for $14. The G-1 was from 1957, as was the housing. The guts were from 1949.  The handset did NOT have the F-1 transmitter or the HA1 receiver. I never never seen one of these in person.

I believe the F-1 receiver 5302's are by far the most common, but the G-1 handset makes this one easier to use.

Anyone have a 5302 like this?

http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#GF
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Dan, since you asked.

I do have one of those 5302's that Paul shows on his site.  I will post a couple of photos.  Actually when I bought this phone in March of 2005 I thought I was buying a model 500.  It was the beginning of my learning years with the plastic phones and I didn't know one from the other.  I just checked my records and I paid $20 for the phone and another $7.50 for shipping.  So in today's money, you got a real good deal.

My phone is marked on the bottom, 8/23/63 and 5304GR3GF.  The G1 handset is dated 63.  It has a 5M dial with the date blacked out.  The chassis and ringer are marked 2/50 and the induction coil I 50.  The housing is soft plastic and stamped with green ink, 5 9 and I think "3" but it's worn.  So it too is most likely a 63.  It does have the HA1 receiver element marked 12/52 and the F1 transmitter marked 2/48.

The plastic caps have the "F" on the transmitter and "H" on the receiver.

Sorry about the dust in the photos.  The first photo was taken some time ago.  The others I took tonight.

ntophones

What a nice phone!
Wow...really nice, and great price to boot!
--nto

Dan

Thanks Dennis! I have a feeling that's quite a rare one, sice I bet it would be a lot easier to just put a G-1 500 handset on the 5302. I want one of each, that is, an f-1, a G-1, and one like yours. (I won't even attempt to go for coloured 5302's).

Beautiful phone . This should be included in our "photo roster" someone proposed in another thread .
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

LarryInMichigan

Dan,

You got a great deal.  I bought one recently on ebay for $13 plus $10.45 for shipping, and I had to spend alot of time removing paint splatters and polishing it, and after that, it doesn't look so good.  Mine has an F1 handset.  I wish there were an antique shop like that around here.

I think that it's interesting that the dial center on yours has the owner's name and address, and the phone number was added by hand with a pen.

Larry

Dan

It is a unique dial card and I left it on for that reason. Thanks for the compliment.

Look closely at mine. It was FULL of paint splatters also!

The lady that works there knows I'm a 'Phone guy'. She has a phone table and always has a new phone on it every time I go in. I told her if she finds a dark blue or dark grey and she calls me first, she gets $25 in Starbucks gift cards (big time coffee drinker)

Dennis Markham

Bribery will get you everywhere! :)

benhutcherson

Very nice find on that one, and a great price too.

I'm rather fond of the 5302s myself. The first time I saw one in person, I can remember wondering what the heck it was.

I have two of them-one has a full F-1 handset with a straight rubber cord. The other is like yours, with a G-1 handset and T-1/U1 elements.

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan on January 09, 2010, 06:38:22 PM
I was lucky to find a 5302 with a G-1 handset at my local flea-tique store for $14. The G-1 was from 1957, as was the housing. The guts were from 1949.  The handset did NOT have the F-1 transmitter or the HA1 receiver. I never never seen one of these in person.

I believe the F-1 receiver 5302's are by far the most common, but the G-1 handset makes this one easier to use.

Anyone have a 5302 like this?

http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#GF

Yeah, here's mine:  http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/Brinybay/Telephones/5302/  ( dead link 11/10/17 )

[IM G]ht tp://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/Brinybay/Telephones/5302/DSC00097.jpg[/im g]  ( dead external image link 11/10/17 )
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AET

I cannot wait to join this club.
- Tom

rp2813

I second Tom's comment.  A 5302 with F1 and HA1 elements inside a G1 handset would be my holy grail.

Dan, that was a phenomenal find and and even more phenomenal deal!  Good going!

Ralph
Ralph

Dan

Thanks ralph, nice hearing from you again.