News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Fresh from an estate"

Started by Dan, January 30, 2010, 03:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Happened by an auction of an older home and it's contents. The princess and the right push button red were in a box thrown in with a giant statue of an owl and an iron table. $5 for all. A guy gave me $5 for the table since he got there late.

In a second lot was this "ericsson ruen " black phone and this other red pushbutton. It looks like this was a converted ten button (look @ the difference in colour of the # and * buttons). $10 for this lot.

Overall $10 for 4 phones. A good day. I'm going to clean these dirty guys up. This is my first ericcson and I'm debateing whether to convert the red back to a 10 button..

Can anyone show me how to date the ericsson?

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

teka-bb

If it reads PTT under the handle than it's a Dutch type 1951 phone. Made by Dutch Ericsson which is located in a town named Rijen. That it is what is says on the bottom Rijen and NOT Ruen.

Maybe the production date is still visible on the bottom (month and year) or the date on the capacitor might give you an idea around what date it was produced.

From the Dutch telephone history timeline at http://www.telefoonmuseum.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=2:

"1950: Three separate suppliers, Dutch Ericsson in Rijen, Nederlandse Standard Electric Maatschappij (NSEM) in The Hague and the Hengelosche Electrische En Mechanische Apparaten Fabriek (HEEMAF) in Hengelo are asked to design and manufacture a new telephone.

Later, the electric standard by which these telephones were made became known as "PTT-norm 51". HEEMAF also made a PTT-norm 51 telephone using the 1931 Siemens design in desk and wall version.

1951: In response to the 1950 PTT request for new designs, Ericsson introduces its Type 1951 in standard black colour in both desk and wall versions. Ericsson used parts that were made by the parent company or subsidiary companies. Later, the Ericsson factory in Rijen became self-supporting. The design of the case is similar to telephones made by Ericsson for other countries."

In case you need a schematic let me know.
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

gpo706

.You guys have it SO easy over there, if I could get a deal like this here I'd be delighted!

What happened to the giant owl BTW?
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Craig T

Nice finds especially for $10  :o

I would definitely make it a 10 button if you can. It would look excellent with the other one or sell nicely.

Great run!

Dan

Quote from: gpo706 on January 30, 2010, 09:02:48 PM
.You guys have it SO easy over there, if I could get a deal like this here I'd be delighted!

What happened to the giant owl BTW?
I gave it to my sister-in-law, who has a giant owl collection. She was very happy.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

JorgeAmely

Dan:

Good "catch of the day".

Congrats!
Jorge

Dan

Quote from: teka-bb on January 30, 2010, 07:54:19 PM
If it reads PTT under the handle than it's a Dutch type 1951 phone. Made by Dutch Ericsson which is located in a town named Rijen. That it is what is says on the bottom Rijen and NOT Ruen.

Maybe the production date is still visible on the bottom (month and year) or the date on the capacitor might give you an idea around what date it was produced.

From the Dutch telephone history timeline at http://www.telefoonmuseum.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=2:

"1950: Three separate suppliers, Dutch Ericsson in Rijen, Nederlandse Standard Electric Maatschappij (NSEM) in The Hague and the Hengelosche Electrische En Mechanische Apparaten Fabriek (HEEMAF) in Hengelo are asked to design and manufacture a new telephone.

Later, the electric standard by which these telephones were made became known as "PTT-norm 51". HEEMAF also made a PTT-norm 51 telephone using the 1931 Siemens design in desk and wall version.

1951: In response to the 1950 PTT request for new designs, Ericsson introduces its Type 1951 in standard black colour in both desk and wall versions. Ericsson used parts that were made by the parent company or subsidiary companies. Later, the Ericsson factory in Rijen became self-supporting. The design of the case is similar to telephones made by Ericsson for other countries."

In case you need a schematic let me know.

Thanks, looks like it is a 1957 based on your info. There is a schematic inside the phone. I have been cleaning it, it has a four prong plug so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Dan

Thanks for the kind words Jorge. It is hard in the winter because estate and yard sales are few and far between, and I don't like antique store prices. It was fun to get a phone "fix" although 15 degrees for 3 hours is not fun.

Dan

The ericcson is all clean and works and rings loud! Different sound definately than a WE. The bells are steel and very large. The white button is interesting on the front because if you hit it while the bells are ringing, it silences the ringer without picking up the receiver. A neat call screening mechanism without picking up the phone to silence the ringer. I guess if you had a baby that you were taking care of and didn't want to wake her up or talk on the phone, this would work in a jiffy.

Craig T

Sounds like you had one of those dedicated waits outside! I heard of places where they let you show up and take a number, but we have to wait it out up here too...this is a tough time of year to be the early bird outside.

Dan

Thanks Craig. I knew I would get a good deal because it was so darn cold and there was only ten people present when they started on the phones. Definately a buyers market in this depressed economy.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan on January 30, 2010, 03:56:41 PM
Happened by an auction of an older home and it's contents. The princess and the right push button red were in a box thrown in with a giant statue of an owl and an iron table. $5 for all. A guy gave me $5 for the table since he got there late.

In a second lot was this "ericsson ruen " black phone and this other red pushbutton. It looks like this was a converted ten button (look @ the difference in colour of the # and * buttons). $10 for this lot.

Overall $10 for 4 phones. A good day. I'm going to clean these dirty guys up. This is my first ericcson and I'm debateing whether to convert the red back to a 10 button..

Can anyone show me how to date the ericsson?

Dan,
You got a "Happy" deal.{ one that makes you happy, and the rest of us Happy
for you}
Looking at the 10 button phone. I think it might be a 12 button set, I think
that it  had a dial replacement, The dial the installer used was a 10-button
convertable. The star "*" and Octathorpe (Bell origin) # appear sun damaged.
The 1-0 keys do not. I think this is cool. I would keep the set as-is. In
Particular if  I can justify the date stamps. This is an eccentrical point,
But it matters to us eccentrics.

This kinda thing happened at under-preforming Bell Co. the got the B-stock.
B-stock includes Painted housing, Painted cord HW to mod G-handsets (!/2"
knock-out) and other bizarre things. This was a heads-up to employees to
"Preform".

The concept was you aren't succeding so you get the "second's" until you do
better.
If you didn't you get the C(rap)-stock."3rd's" these are the painted sets
that are over a different base color. If things don't chage , then expect a
bigg shake-up in management. Painted cords were C-stock. I suspect HW/Mod G
handsets were as well.

Jim S.
BTW You got a good deal.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

gpo706

I agree with Jim for what its worth, quite like the colour contrast in the buttons on that set, especially if Jim's explanation is correct, adds to the history of a "once redundant, unloved and discarded" phone, (aren't they all).

If I had it I would take great pleasure in explaining how those two buttons were different from the rest to anyone who enquired!

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"