News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Orange ITT Rotary w Black Push Button

Started by Craig T, January 30, 2010, 10:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig T

Finished my second phone  late this afternoon. It came out nice again. My new slogan, "I can make your dial smile"  ;D  ::)

I paid antique store price ($40) and it was nothing like this. Then I needed some parts for it that cost me another $20. Same result as the last phone, wet shiny look with a dingy cord  :D

I need to wire a modular jack to try it out. I will just leave the jack sit inside of the case. Eventually I would like to buy an orange line cord and just wire it into a modular adapter instead.

I did the inside too, I am finishing the inside of the gray right now.

I have had some great advice about what the black button could be, any chance anyone else is familiar with that?

gpo706

If you hadn't shown the chassis I would have thought this new out the box.

How did you get such a lustre to it, colour is lovely, breathtaking work.

Where did you get the new cord to match?

Kudos to you.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Dan

Beautiful job. What is the model # on the back? I am guessing the light indicates when the phone is ringing. A hearing - impaired set possibly.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Craig, I thought the same thing...it looks brand new, or better!  Nice job.

JorgeAmely

Craig:

Try this link for orange handset and line cords.
http://www.ericofon.com/catalog/parts/cords.htm

Or Bill Wright from the TCI at wdwright555@aol.com

Jorge

Craig T

Thanks everyone! I will check out those links for a line cord, thank you Jorge.

A hearing impaired set possibly... thanks for the tip.

It is a 500 model then it says 34 BM  Dated 11-73.

He is a picture of the bottom of the phone and then a picture of before I cleaned it up.

gpo706

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Dan/Panther

Beautiful job, one of my favorite non WE phones. Color wise I  mean.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bellsystemproperty

I love the color!!  ;D It is so shiny! That and the bright green 500 from Stromberg Carlson are great colors, although my favorite is clear, but that's not a color so it doesn't count. Could that button be a flash button?

Craig T

Thank you Dan and Kyle. I had it hooked up a bit ago and the black button did not so much as flicker the dial tone when pushed or held. That is as far as I got. I don't usually use my phones once I polish them, but this one is gonna be my daily runner for a while.

Sorry gpo, I missed your post there. Thank you also for the compliments. As you can tell, I did not polish the inside of this one. I do all of the black bottom phones, but I just give a good cleaning to these insides of the newer bottomed ones. The cord is actually the original cord. I love the shiny look, I cannot wait until the rest of the shelf looks like this. Next is the Beige with the toggle switch.

McHeath

Beautiful job.  My orange Stromberg Carlson 500 has off white, even a bit yellowish, letters and numbers on the dial bezel.  I prefer the look of yours with black lettering on the bezel.  That button is a mystery to me, never seen one in that position before. 

Dan

My orange  also has white letters too. Yours screams Cincinnati Bengals!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Wallphone

Is the black button a temp contact or a maintained contact?
If it is a maintained contact then my guess is it turns the ringer off.
Dougpav

Dan/Panther

My guess on the button, it appears to be a momentary switch, so I guess it mutes the phone transmitter when pushed.
D/P

I posted some photos of a side by side comparison of the Orange ITT, and S/C both dated 1973. the ITT appeared to be close to a WE clone, as far as construction, but the S/C appeared to be updated with very flimsy looking ringer and network. The network was basically a circuit board, and the ringers frame was plastic.
The ITT was much stronger built.
Not meant to downplay S/C but if you have a chance to get the Orange or Green phone I would recommend the ITT brand. All parts are WE interchangeable also.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson