News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I found this wall phone no clue what it is!

Started by Krisea, February 14, 2010, 11:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krisea

South Florida (Palm Beach) actually :) It has been a little chilly here too (well chilly for Florida!) Lows in the 40's highs in the 60's. I wouldn't want to be in the water.

I took some pictures of the receiver. I did notice what looks like a date stamp inside of it. Did they make these in the 70's or is this a reproduction? 

Craig T

That could be just that piece that was replaced in 1970 and not the whole handset.

Great dial card on your phone by the way. Welcome to the forum!  -Craig

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Krisea on February 14, 2010, 02:19:28 PM
I found some more pictures of the AE 21 case and that is most definitely it.

My husband decided to head out surfing...so I am home with both kids (3 yrs and 9 mths) so I probably will not be able to take more pictures until tonight...unless I risk having the phone become a play toy for them!

I can't thank you enough for all of your help! I can't wait to restore it (I have never taken on a project like this before!)

Krissy
Krissy,
Email you address and I will send you a 500 set for the kids to play with (free including  shipping)

I remember yard saleing last year. I picked up a SC green message waiting hotel set for $5. Along the way, I found a nice pile of "vintage" rocks w/ a "free" sign. I took the rocks and went to tell the lady I was done. She had 2 kids under 5. She was quite happy when I offered her the 500 set as a trade, she grew up with one. I pointed out she could teach the kids to call grandma on it. I suspect grandma heard about the phone before I made it home.

I have donated several dial sets to day care/kindegartens. It is good for kids to learn about this technology. 
When my girls  (4 ages 9-15) have friends over, I always point their friends to a rotary when they need to call home. Their first try is always interesting.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

McHeath

Your phone has a variety of parts from different time periods and makers.  The case is an Automatic Electric, which eventually ended up becoming today's Verizon after a lot of twists and turns.

The dial is a Kellogg, another old telephone company which is still around and called Cortelco today.

The ringer is some sort of later Automatic Electric, it seems, probably from the 40's to 60's.  (my guess)

The part in the receiver with the 1970 date is a Western Electric U3 receiver, made in the many millions and used in most of the G style handsets made from 1950 to today.  Western Electric was divided up into many parts after Ma Bell was broke up in 1984 and they no longer exist as one company.  They were the company that made AT & T's equipment back in the phone monopoly days and their stuff was all excellent quality and made to last forever.

As was mentioned earlier the network, the gizmo that actually makes it work, looks to be some sort of modern unit. 

Most likely someone took this old phone and "modernized" it to use it.  It's a cool looking phone and should clean up well and be quite useable.

Krisea

Thank you so much for your offer Jim. I have emailed you :)

I love this phone. I am little bummed that it is pieced together but I love how it looks.

Does anyone have a guide on how I could go about restoring the paint? I think I am going to take care of the cosmetic part of the phone before fixing the bells. It will be awhile before I can display it in a functional way...my youngest would be constantly pulling on the cord! 

Thank you again for all of the information.

Craig T

McHeath

QuoteI love this phone. I am little bummed that it is pieced together but I love how it looks.

A lot of old phones are pieced together, sometimes they are called "Frankenphones".  Some of them were made that way by people trying to get one working, and some were pieced together by the phone companies.  Ma Bell was famous for frugality and reusing every last part over and over, though I doubt they would have used parts from other makers like your phone has.  But an independent phone company might have, other folks on the forum would know more about that than me.

I've got several Frankenphones and they are among my favorites.  An all intact and original dated phone is great as well, they each have their charms. 

Jim Stettler

Krissy,
That is a repro reciever, And an old dial. The housing is old. The AE votes have me swaying, It is probably AE, but possibly something else.
KelloggMike or his website might help you determine  if it is Kellogg or not.

Regarding the 500, I received your e-mail, Sorry, but the original terms apply. Pass it forward.
Jim

You might consider attending Gary Goff's show in Brea, CA, if it is kinda close.
It is at the beginning of March.

Your first phone show will blow you away.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AET

It shocks me that kids have had zero exposure to rotary phones.  I remember when I was very young (1993-ish) we had 2 beige rotary phones in our house and I even remember using them as toys once they were replaced (1996-ish) and I've always been able to use one, from a very young age at least.

Quote from: Jim S. on February 14, 2010, 10:52:35 PM
Quote from: Krisea on February 14, 2010, 02:19:28 PM
I found some more pictures of the AE 21 case and that is most definitely it.

My husband decided to head out surfing...so I am home with both kids (3 yrs and 9 mths) so I probably will not be able to take more pictures until tonight...unless I risk having the phone become a play toy for them!

I can't thank you enough for all of your help! I can't wait to restore it (I have never taken on a project like this before!)

Krissy
Krissy,
Email you address and I will send you a 500 set for the kids to play with (free including  shipping)

I remember yard saleing last year. I picked up a SC green message waiting hotel set for $5. Along the way, I found a nice pile of "vintage" rocks w/ a "free" sign. I took the rocks and went to tell the lady I was done. She had 2 kids under 5. She was quite happy when I offered her the 500 set as a trade, she grew up with one. I pointed out she could teach the kids to call grandma on it. I suspect grandma heard about the phone before I made it home.

I have donated several dial sets to day care/kindegartens. It is good for kids to learn about this technology. 
When my girls  (4 ages 9-15) have friends over, I always point their friends to a rotary when they need to call home. Their first try is always interesting.
Jim
- Tom

Krisea

Thanks again for all of the information...and thank you so much Jim!

You are right about the kid phones...everything play is 'digital' now. Heck, they even have play credit cards not money now! I would love to let the kids touch this phone but the paint is flaking all over on the back and I am sure it is lead based.

I am going to continue researching tonight and check out those websites :)