"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How Long Should I Wait for Shipping

Started by canuckphoneguy, April 09, 2012, 07:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

canuckphoneguy

Quote from: ESalter on April 11, 2012, 12:04:16 PM
A friend of mine has a clock with a Radium dial.  I always though it was the neatest thing how it glows indefinitely.  He bought a Geiger Counter at a hamfest a few years ago, said when he got home and pointed it at that clock dial it pegged the meter!

That is INSANE! I've never heard of radioactive clocks before! Maybe I'll stick to phones. :)

canuckphoneguy

I just received the phone today. It's a GREAT phone. Not the one in the pictures, actually a better one. It's an 11/62 and the one in the picture was from '63. There are NO cracks and it's a great looking phone. I just have to clean it up a bit!  ;D

DavePEI

Quote from: canuckphoneguy on April 11, 2012, 09:43:30 PM
That is INSANE! I've never heard of radioactive clocks before! Maybe I'll stick to phones. :)
Funny, you can tell the age of someone by whether they remember radium watch and clock dials! ;)

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

TelePlay

Quote from: canuckphoneguy on April 11, 2012, 09:43:30 PM
Quote from: ESalter on April 11, 2012, 12:04:16 PM
A friend of mine has a clock with a Radium dial.  I always though it was the neatest thing how it glows indefinitely.  He bought a Geiger Counter at a hamfest a few years ago, said when he got home and pointed it at that clock dial it pegged the meter!

Yeah, INSANE. My father had a radium dial wrist watch in the early 50's. They were popular from the 20's until information related to nuclear research exposed the radiation danger in the late 50's. Seems they then went to the safer nonradioactive phosphorescent materials that were light activated but died out after a short time in the dark.

Here's a link to the radium girls and their untimely deaths. http://tinyurl.com/7ct9vke

LarryInMichigan

The clock which I mentioned earlier in this thread finally arrived this Monday (while I was out of town), having been shipped last Thursday, and not last Monday as the seller claimed.  I just arrived home, collected the box from my neighbor, and found that a chunk of the plaskon is missing from the side of the clock.  The ebay listing stated: "NO DAMAGE AT ALL !!!".  Am I crazy, or does a significant chunk of missing plaskon constitute "damage"?  Also, the seller ignored my request to keep the cord and plug away from the clock and instead wrapped the cord tightly around the clock shell and crystal.  I just sent a message to the seller stating all of this, but I doubt that I will receive a reply.  I am really upset about this.

Larry

canuckphoneguy

That's terrible - are you going to complain to Ebay?

LarryInMichigan

I plan to give the seller a couple of days to respond.  I will probably ask her for a large refund.  The item is clearly not as described.

Larry

TelePlay

I've noticed an eBay listing with limited pictures can mean one of two things, a really good deal of you're lucky and get something special that would have gained a higher price by better and more pictures, or, you get burned because the seller is hiding something - usually the latter.

You got robbed.

By the way, I just got phone where I asked the seller to wrap the handset separate and to not put it on the cradle. Guess what. That seller couldn't read either. They put the handset on the cradle, wrapped the line cord around the base and cradle, coated it in shrink wrap and shipped it.

Maybe it was the same seller?   :D

TelePlay

Larry,

Can you post a picture of the clock damage? Just curious . . .

DavePEI

Quote from: TelePlay on April 18, 2012, 08:57:15 PM
By the way, I just got phone where I asked the seller to wrap the handset separate and to not put it on the cradle. Guess what. That seller couldn't read either. They put the handset on the cradle, wrapped the line cord around the base and cradle, coated it in shrink wrap and shipped it.
I'll bet that when he posted the auction, he boxed it up ready to simply put a mailing address on, and shipped it the way it was, rather than re-packing it according to your instructions.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

TelePlay

Never thought of it that way. You are probably right. Only thing that saved the delivery is that it was a metal base 302 and they put good, soft shock absorbing foam on the bottom and top of the box. And it was a larger box which also helped. And the bakelite handset was so tightly wrapped to the cradle that it couldn't move and came undamaged, thankfully, so I'm happy. Thinking about it your way, I'll cut him some slack since no damage occurred. Gave him good feedback.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: TelePlay on April 20, 2012, 11:06:26 PM
Larry,

Can you post a picture of the clock damage? Just curious . . .

Here are a couple of pictures I sent to the seller.  She has not replied, so I will probably file a complaint on Monday.  I would suggest avoiding her.

Larry

Doug Rose

Larry...I agree that it is a &&&& off to be lied to, BUT does it display well from the front? If it is in good displayable condition, file a complaint with her and then agree to a partial refund.

My Red thermoplastic 302 is perfect from the front. Like new. It has a chip out of the back by the mouse hole. No one sees the back, it looks NOS from the front.

Can you post a picture from the front, I'd love to see what it looks like. Just my two cents....good luck....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Doug,

Here is the original ebay listing: ebay listing.  The seller conveniently left out pictures of the broken side.  The clock, in person, looks much dirtier than the pictures show, but it should clean up.  I did already ask her for a partial refund.  I am not giving her positive feedback.

Larry

twocvbloke

I think that you have a pretty strong case against the seller, "NO DAMAGE AT ALL !!!" and it arrives with pre-existing damage, I think ebay would side with you automatically (that said, they side with all buyers, regardless of if the claim is genuine or not!!) if you filed a case against the seller... :)