"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 80 multi-line

Started by mienaichizu, March 02, 2009, 08:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mienaichizu

just recently bought this for about $31

the problem is, again, its not ringing. It doesn't have a ringer but a buzzer. The question is, thus the buzzer would work on regular phone lines? I have phones with buzzers on it but all are not buzzing.

BDM

I'm at work and cannot look at this in depth. But, go here
http://www.telephonecollectors.org/library/aeco/aeco.htm

And scroll down to AE 87A. Take a look at the files. The buzzer may need a different ring freq, though I'm unsure. That set looks like an early potted network model.

Notice here it shows the optional buzzer or ringer
http://www.telephonecollectors.org/library/aeco/ae87aw.pdf
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Steve K

Usually the buzzers on these phones were designed for intercom signaling.  Western Electric did make some buzzers that could take ring current but I am not sure what AE used on your phone that did not require a KTU.

Steve

McHeath

Holy mixed media Batman, it's got multiple tubes in it! 

mienaichizu

I am surprised to see that too Mc Heath and I'm handling it very carefully as so not to break the tubes

bingster

Quote from: McHeath on March 02, 2009, 09:47:54 PM
Holy mixed media Batman, it's got multiple tubes in it! 

And some mighty big capacitors.  Are we sure that isn't a radio?? ;)
= DARRIN =

mienaichizu

nope nope, its not a radio, its a real phone, hehehe! ;D

GG

That thing with the tubes in back is the "Common Audible Signal" unit sold by AE for these phones at least up through 1973 to 1975.  It enables one buzzer to "ring" for all three lines.  Today we would use three of the little round station buzzers (the ones with black leads were for CO lines and have blocking capacitors; the ones with blue leads were for intercom lines and do NOT work on CO lines). 

The dial marked with digits only would have been used in PAX systems that weren't connected to the public central office, or in rural telcos without direct long distance dialing.  Also used in Hawaii: for some reason, GTE Hawaii used the digits-only marking as standard, probably because you would need to dial an Operator to call the mainland. 

Those self-contained 3-line sets make excellent PBX phones in PBXs that use ground-button transfer.  For modern PBXs (heh:-) that use hookflash transfer, do one of the following:

a)  On AE 87 sets, one hookswitch plunger can recall dialtone (or be used for Flash) while other lines are on hold; the other plunger releases the Hold buttons. 

b)  On AE 187 sets, there is a black button above and to the left of the dial for this purpose (the red button being a push-to-make contact for intercom signaling). 

ITT's version of this uses a black button hear the handset cradle, as a Flash button. 

You can also get from Mike Sandman, a little circuit board that will translate a momentary switch closure to the correct timed Flash signal, though that's primarily useful for people who can't get the timing of a manual Flash signal correct. 

Now if you program the PBX to create a hunt group of three extensions (or use the call forward busy feature code), and use the 3-line set on those three extensions, you have a very nice setup that is entirely practical for home or office, where you can handle up to three calls at once to your primary extension number, and transfer calls to other extensions as well. 

Babybearjs

You've got a 87A with a "common Audible" signalling unit in it. these are VERY rare... I have a bunch of these phones and they all came with regular ringers... you are lucky!
John

GG

One more thing: the common audible signal uses a tube for each line, to selectively feed ringing current to the buzzer at the back of the set.  From the picture, it would seem that the tube associated with line 1 is darker than the others, indicating much higher usage.  It's possible that the tubes have worn out over time and need to be replaced (tubes are still made, though you'll have to look around).   I'd replace the entire set of tubes with new, and then rotate them occasionally to distribute wear evenly.