News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NEW 1937 302!!!

Started by HarrySmith, January 15, 2014, 01:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Also, don't the shells usually have markings on the inside?  I don't see anything on this one, and it almost looks like it has been repainted on the inside?
Dave

poplar1

H1 is stamped in the metal on the outside, above the mouse hole. Check the photo of the back.

The ears look short to me and the plungers have rounded edges.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

Dave

poplar1

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on January 16, 2014, 09:46:21 AM
Interesting thread this. Is it possible that the dial was added later?

The box is for a dialless 302, right? Perhaps the seller has added a dial to make it commercially more interesting. That would explain the loose wire.

It is also possible to find 202s and 302s with all matching dates except for the dials. Sometimes you find a converted dial on a 302 that was otherwise new. (For example, a 2A converted to a 4H by changing the contacts and changing the external finger stop to an internally mounted one.)

This mismatch sometimes occurred because of different local practices in areas that were to be converted soon from manual to dial. Whether dials or apparatus blanks were installed initially also might depend on how far in the future the central office conversion to dial was scheduled. (See AT&T Specifications 4566, Machine Switching Stations, February, 1926.)

wds

I've pretty much decided not to see the phone in person, but I did have a long conversation with the Seller by phone.  He has been trying to research the phone, and even found the Paul-f website.  He had incorrectly assumed that 302A, which is referenced as a manual phone, to mean it had the rural dial plate.  He also thought the 3 in 302-A-3 was a rev. number.  He now understands that the body is not original to the phone, nor is the handset cord or dial.  (or, that's not the original box)  He is going to pull the dial and look for the 5H stamp and a date to see if that might be an early 1937 dial.  And also look for labels on the cords.  I think he realizes he probably has a $50 phone (which is what he paid for it at an antique show) so unless someone is dumb enough to pay the $500 he will just keep the phone.  I offered him a small profit over the $50, but he said no.  :(  He also said the phone had 50 watchers.  I suggested that he change his listing to a BIN with the Make an Offer option.
Dave

poplar1

If it does have small plungers, it should bring more than $50. 1937 302s with E1 handsets often bring well over $100. if anything, the ungrooved F1A handsets are much more difficult to find than 1937 E1Es, which were still being furnished with 202s in 1937.

For some reason I thought the seller said the dial was a 5H dated 1937, but I can't find that info now in the description or in any emails.

wds

Seller pulled the dial and it's marked 5H, II 37.  The gasket under the dial is rubber.  The remaining mystery is the newer body, and that cloth coiled handset cord.
Dave

wds

Wall cord restrain is II 37.  Coiled cord is '41.  The only remaining item is the body - do you suppose the newer body is in fact original to the phone?
Dave

Matilo Telephones

It seems the seller did not put this Phone together. Do you know where he got it from?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

wds

I don't think the Seller has modified the phone in any way - he is just a flipper.  He recently purchased the phone at an antique market.  The wires were already loose and he didn't want to modify the phone in any way.  I would think the phone was shipped to a Telephone Company as a dial-less phone, where the dial was added as needed.  Luckily the correct dial was added, but that doesn't explain the newer body.  Maybe the phone was returned by a customer to the phone company, where the older "out of date" body was replaced with a newer body?  Refurb?
Dave

K1WI

I'm a little confused.  Sure looks like an early 1937 H1 housing , not sure why it's thought to be a replacement case .
Andy F    K1WI

K1WI

Notice how early H1 differs from later 1937 metal housings. Phone shown on e-bay IS earlier style. 
Andy F    K1WI

wds

I admit I'm no expert on these phones, but I've only seen these early 37 phones with the small plungers.  This one has the larger plungers.  An interesting mix of parts.
Dave

HarrySmith

Yes, the plungers and the opening between the ears is not as wide to accomodate the E handset.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

K1WI

I agree it is difficult to tell from the e-bay photos the size of the plungers.   If they are large , but if the casting is earlier type then possibly this could have been a transition or phased in casting. ( although I doubt it ) One thing I learned after half a life time working for " Ma Bell " is that the saying we had " WE ALWAYS DO IT THE SAME WAY ONCE " just might be accurate in this instance . Personally , just my opinion , just the fact that it has a black ungrooved F1 handset merits a high price.  They don't appear on e-bay often. I found one that I needed for a restoral after an almost six year search !

Andy F    K1WI