News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 183 Spacemaker

Started by Greg G., September 21, 2009, 11:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

It does too dial out!  This has a CL find, but I've had it for a while.  I bought it early on, just after the phone bug bit, and paid too much for it, but not to worry, it wasn't a huge sum.  1962 AE Model 183 Spacemaker.  

I hooked it up to a biscuit, has a dial tone, dials out (in spite of what the dial card says) and receives calls, but I imagine there must have been a separate ringer subset for it.  A friend of mine was admiring the pictures I posted on FB, I may clean it up and give it to her as a present.  There is a gouge in the handset that I'm pretty sure can't be sanded out, I would have to fill it with putty of some sort.  

What did they do for the ringy-dingy?  Where does one find a proper ringer for it?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

If I'm not mistaken, these have the network inside, so you don't have to worry about a subset for a network.  But you'd need bells, as you mentioned.  You can use any extension ringer, including the little cheapo ringers from radio shack, etc.  AE made little color matching square ringers that would have been installed with these originally.
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

Quote from: bingster on September 21, 2009, 11:59:36 PM
AE made little color matching square ringers that would have been installed with these originally.

So this particular one is missing that part?  Where was it mounted on the phone?

I guess this is actually called a Model 183 Spacemaker, I found a picture of one.

http://www.telephonearchive.com/phones/ae/ae183sm.html
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

The ringers weren't mounted on the phones.  They were mounted low on the wall just like a subset would be, and were connected to the phone by a cord.  Here's one with it's matching ringer:

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/images/P/9DG9HZ2G11YRCL5.JPG
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

Certainly has potential to be a nice looking phone, don't it?  I just took the dial out of it's case, and the distinct smell of stale tobacco was present.  Anybody know how to get the finger wheel off these?
- Mike Row
e

bwanna

briny, that is a cool phone. hope you are successful in repairing that gouge. i may has an external ringer that would work for you. it is modern/modular. i think the ringer doesn't necessarily have to be connected to the phone, just to your line. anyway if you are interested in that ringer i will dig around & see if i can find it.

thx bing. now i have to have one of those turquoise models. i saw them in pink somewhere, too. i have a black one.
donna

BDM

I have the AE bell box for that set. No network, just the proper box with bells. If interested, PM me.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

JorgeAmely

Brinibay:

Section 5 of the document that you can download from this link shows how to remove the finger wheel of any AE dial.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1049.0

Good luck sir.
Jorge

Greg G.

Success!  Thank you.  The acetate plate and number card were already damaged, so those didn't matter.  Looks like somebody had already disassembled it and damaged them in the process since the damage was exactly where you insert the screwdriver to remove the escutcheon plate (had to look up "escutcheon").
- Mike Row
e

JorgeAmely

Congratulations!

Yes, those acetate disks are kind of delicate. Try something like Crazy glue and a needle to see if you can stitch it together. After that, most of them clear well with Novus 2.

Now you are ready for a dial overhaul.

Jorge

Dennis Markham

I think Oldphoneworks sells those acetate discs for that finger wheel.

Dan/Panther

Quote from: bingster on September 22, 2009, 12:40:20 AM
The ringers weren't mounted on the phones.  They were mounted low on the wall just like a subset would be, and were connected to the phone by a cord.  Here's one with it's matching ringer:

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/images/P/9DG9HZ2G11YRCL5.JPG

Bingster;.
Is that photo negative reversed or did they make them with left and right receiver hooks ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

The hook on this model swivels around, so it can be set at any position from far left to far right.
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

Quote from: bingster on September 23, 2009, 04:09:21 PM
The hook on this model swivels around, so it can be set at any position from far left to far right.

I was wondering about that, because I've seen pictures of them on the left, front, and right.
- Mike Row
e