"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Okay, what the heck is this??

Started by finlover, December 19, 2009, 09:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

Quote from: AtomicEraTom
I lost three auctions today because they came due after I had left for work, so I had to bid early.  I was pretty sad when I got home  :(

Tom, I highly recommend checking out http://www.bidnip.com/ ;)

-Matt

AET

I think I'd be afraid to use a service like that.  I could always have my dad bid for me, he's a pro ebayer.  I just wouldn't trust a service. So impersonal. 
- Tom

finlover

It's a done deal!  Probably paid to much, but I love the streamlined styling and white rubber feet.  Hopefully I can get the gray color of the case closer to that of the handset.

Thanks for your help i.d.ing it, guys!  Looks like it's an NEC type 4, I'm guessing late '40s/early '50s because of the straight handset cord.  Check out this sweet group shot:

AET

- Tom

HobieSport

Quote from: AtomicEraTom
I think I'd be afraid to use a service like that.  I could always have my dad bid for me, he's a pro ebayer.  I just wouldn't trust a service. So impersonal.  

I've used BidNip, Tom. It's very simple, very easy, it works, and the first five successful bids are free. I really would try it. You got nuthin to loose. Just use up your five free bids and then just stop using it if you want. Otherwise I think it's something like 22 cents per successful bid. I just used the five free bids and then stopped. I got some really nice deals on some clocks that way. It's more accurate than sniping, and it takes all the crazy emotion and poor decisions out of regular bidding, and you don't have to be there at the close of the bid to snipe.

I'm really not trying to talk you into it, though I may sound that way. Just saying that I found it really easy to use, it worked perfectly, and it's free to try. 8)

Finlover; Those NECs make me hungry for M&Ms. :)
-Matt

finlover

Quote from: JorgeAmely on December 19, 2009, 02:26:47 PM
This gray phone with the red star and triangle reminds me of a seller that had once a dragon sticker on the side of a red WE500 set. He also had a black set with a red dragon sticker also.

Same guy perhaps?  ??? ??? ???
Jorge, do you EVER tire of making fun of me? ;D  I made the red dragon phone for my older son who was born in 2000--the year of the dragon.  Everyone who saw it said I should build another one to sell, so I put the black dragon on ebay, but had no takers. :(  I've played it straight ever since.

AET

Not my taste, but you are an artist of phones vintage and modern!  Now I feel old!  Your kid was born in 2000, I was already ten LOL.
- Tom

finlover

And I was already 32, you whippersnapper!  I'm old enough to be YOUR dad--well, we do have a lot in common, and there was that girl I met at the Wisconsin Cheese Festival back in '89.  Hmmmm...

AET

LOL!!  Mom also works at Wisconsin Cheeseman :) If you actually go back about 9 months before I was born would take you to Valentine's Day 1990 and sorry Greg, Mom and Dad had already been married since 88. 
- Tom

finlover

JorgeAmely

Quote from: finlover on December 20, 2009, 02:00:17 AM
Quote from: JorgeAmely on December 19, 2009, 02:26:47 PM
This gray phone with the red star and triangle reminds me of a seller that had once a dragon sticker on the side of a red WE500 set. He also had a black set with a red dragon sticker also.

Same guy perhaps?  ??? ??? ???
Jorge, do you EVER tire of making fun of me? ;D  I made the red dragon phone for my older son who was born in 2000--the year of the dragon.  Everyone who saw it said I should build another one to sell, so I put the black dragon on ebay, but had no takers. :(  I've played it straight ever since.

Grasshopper, errr, finlover:
NEVER!  ;D ;D ;D And why stop?

Part of the hobby is having fun while at it, and as I mentioned to Tom once, I don't take myself too seriously. I have talked to you on the phone, traded many emails with you and found you to be a charming person which, likewise, doesn't take the hobby too seriously either.

You don't work for a museum, right?  ??? ??? ???
Jorge

McHeath

QuoteNot my taste, but you are an artist of phones vintage and modern!  Now I feel old!  Your kid was born in 2000, I was already ten LOL.

Just you wait Tom, eventually you start thinking about how you ought to go see _________ again as it's been a while since you got up that way.  Then you sit down and really think about when you were last there and it turns out it was 1978 or some other ancient date, and then you really feel old.   :)

Dan/Panther

Tom;
You need EZ-Snipe.
I don't win every auction, but I don't miss them because I'm not home, I just don't bid enough.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AET

1978's the year my Dad Graduated High School.  I'm just a little leary of these e-z snipe kinda things....
- Tom

Dennis Markham

Thanks, Tom for making one feel old.  I graduated from high school in 1973.  That makes ME old!  That's OK though, I'm always looking forward to my next birthday.