News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NOS Brown 172C

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, November 19, 2017, 08:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Wow, I sure don't know what to make of this!

I saw this at the top of the 'newly listed' page a few minutes ago. I saw the color Brown and "Western Electric" in the same listing, and jumped on it! "NOS" added to the near aneurysm! ;D

It's strange to see a plastic 172C backboard in a color that was discontinued well before this model came into existence. There were several 500s and 554s found in the past that were painted brown, so I thought that this may be as well. Nope, all of the threaded brass inserts are still perfect without any signs of wear or paint overspray. A couple areas around the housing look like white underneath brown, but it looks like it's just a reflection of the cloth underneath.

I bought it for $16.99 BiN, so worst case, it's not too bad a loss. I still have a good feeling about this one! :)

www.ebay.com/itm/162764373362
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

jsowers

Gee, that's a rarity. I guess these were made in 1957 or thereabouts when they were still installing brown 554s and no longer making backboards out of wood. You never see these in wood, much less plastic. No wonder it's NOS since so few were ever used. It was probably kept on the shelf or in the truck, just in case, and never used. Congratulations, Christian, on getting such a rare piece. Maybe the actual brown 554 that goes with it will show up sometime soon?
Jonathan

paul-f

I agree.  What a great find -- Find of the Month material.

The earliest issue of 463-130-100 found quickly is i8 - 1/68. The 172C is listed as MD. Does anyone have earlier issues that might include the -54 brown color code?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

WEBellSystemChristian

I got it in the mail recently.

It's absolutely an authentic, NOS Mahogany Brown backboard. It's ABS, which is interesting yet expected. It's definitely not ITT Brown, it matches Mahogany Brown perfectly. It's also not painted, and not used at all! It has the original bag and mounting screws in a separate bag.

I'm thinking about selling this or trading it for something else. I don't have a Mahogany Brown 554 yet, and I know that this would stay on my parts shelf for a long time, especially still being NOS. Since none of my 554s have backboards at all, it would be a little awkward to have one phone (that I have yet to own) with a non-original backboard.

It's a really cool, extremely rare piece, but I know someone else out there has a Brown 554 that's aching for a backboard.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford