Army Dial Bell System

Started by Doug Rose, May 02, 2018, 06:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Kinda of cool but went much higher than I wanted to spend. Any ideas?....Doug

https://tinyurl.com/y94jnxpj
Kidphone

FABphones

Bit confused. Link is for a powder-coated WE housing?

(https://tinyurl.com/yd3pvfnl)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Kidphone

HarrySmith

Looks like the winner is a member here though he has not been active in about 3 years. I sent him a message asking about it. I will post here if I get a reply.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Sargeguy

I was watching that auction as well.  Pretty interesting piece of equipment, looked like something out of a "Lost".
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Babybearjs

just out of curiosity, were these units actually regular #5, 0r #6 dials with special fingerwheels? or were they made a certain way? wonder what would happen of you hooked them up to a regular phone?
John

poplar1

Civil Defense.
The modified 531A ringer boxes -- with red, white, and yellow lamps -- turn up from time to time.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

jsowers

Yes, they were for Civil Defense purposes. Here's a link to the BSP on something similar, but it has five holes in the dial instead of three.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/bsp-bell-system-practices-by-doc/bsp-categories-by-early-letter-code-by-doc/c-series-station-installation-and-maintenance/c40-c99-magneto-public-tel-special-uses-etc/4390-c70-171-01-iss-a-jan61-civil-air-defense-warning-system-cadw-bell-and-lights-station-equipment-installation-and-maintenance/file

I suppose some locations required less of a warning than others, or a simpler solution. The cover over the dial in the auction is missing a clear insert and there was a second piece with warning lights that connected to the dial. It was a way to alert the population and send out an "all clear" in case of a nuclear attack. Presumably they were located near the air raid siren control. Definitely a Cold War artifact.
Jonathan

andre_janew

To me, this one looks like it may have a #7 dial that was modified to dial only three numbers.

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on May 02, 2018, 06:53:45 AM
Kinda of cool but went much higher than I wanted to spend. Any ideas?

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

Omitted listing information for this somewhat unique item posted here for posterity (basic information that will be available years from now if found in a forum search and the eBay listing is long since deleted):

Winning Bidder:  c***o (4605)
Auction:  7 bidders, 7 bids

Seller Description:  "I have no idea what this was used for. It appears to be military. It measures 6 inches wide, 7 inches in length and 4 inches in height. The three dial positions work when dialed. It appears to be in good condition. It has white paint spots on it. No key but the lock is in open position."