"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1947 302 on eBay

Started by HarrySmith, July 05, 2010, 02:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Does this seem strange to anyone besides me? :-\
I dont recall date stamps inside the base of any 302 I have seen. ???
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Harry...Every Western Electric 302 has a date in the front just like this from 1937 to the mid 50s. Northern Electric have a patent date in the back.....Doug
Kidphone

Kenny C

mine is stamped on the inside  next to the ringer 6-52-I
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

JorgeAmely

Harry:

You seen what I am seen? Same stamper used in both components?
Jorge

Kenny C

mine is all dates matching except the dial and handset cord
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

HarrySmith

Jorge: thats what I am talking about!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

The inside of the base is very clean and shiny and the date stamp is perfect and exactly the same as the one on the ringer. :-\
The date stamp on the shell is fine, but I have never seen one on the base like that, maybe I just have not had any good clean 302's yet. ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

Harry:

I haven't seen one until today with a letter (in this case "A") as part of the date code.
Jorge

Dan/Panther

Here is a photo of a 1947 302 I restored and sold about 2 years ago.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HarrySmith

OK then. Stamped base with the "A". Guess I will be looking fo stamped bases.
Still your stamp looks to be spaced different from the stamp on the ringer. No dashes between the numbers also.
Maybe it's just me! :-\
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dan/Panther

Correct me if I'm wrong, but seems I was told all parts of that era were made at the W.E. facility, and therefore stampings would quite possibly be the same appearance.
However that is the only "A" stamped 302 I've found, out of about 30.
D/P

JorgeAmely

D/P:

Looking at your picture now, I am starting to think that "A" means aluminum base. The follow picture belongs to a 302 with a steel base. No "A" on this one.

Jorge

Dan/Panther

I think the "A"  could be (A) for aluminum, but why would the ringer be marked "A", it could go to an aluminum base, or a steel base.
D/P

AE_Collector

Were aluminum bases on 302's very common? Just a war time and soon after the war thing? ANy possibity that there actually was some slight variation to the ringer to use it on an aluminum base? Remember that ringers are working with magnetic fields and maybe the aluminum vs steel base that the ringer is mounted to required some other little adjustment to the ringer design for it to work perfectly rather than just work. Remember, we are talking WECo here....pretty good just isn't goood enough!

Terry

Dennis Markham

Here's what I think about the "A".

A = Atlanta
I = Indianapolis
S = Shreveport

There may be others. I was told or read or heard that those letters designated the plant in which the phone was manufactured.

Attached is just one that I've picked up that is marked with the "A".  I got this at a flea market back in March.