News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric B-1s-Not that rare?

Started by Sargeguy, March 06, 2011, 06:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Is it me or have they been coming out of the woodwork?  There are at least 10 on eBay as I write this.  One sold for $36 last week with the magneto box.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

mariepr

What was the production run on these - three years?  Operationally there was not much difference to the average customer between a B1 and a D1 so there would not have been any incentive to trade in a B1 for the D1.   Thus, they would have remained in service for a while and survived.  But the former field techs among us can give a better answer than my speculation. 

(I've bought a couple that had been acquired by some after-market outfit and re-worked for intercom service.  You've probably seen them on ebay with a dial blank and push button in the center.  The blank is - get this - a plastic screw cap jar lid!)

Sargeguy

I have seen the type you are talking about.  The majority that I have been tracking are manual sets with seamless E-1s and cloth cords.  There also seems to be a number of refurbed B-1s with F-1 handsets and rubber cords (one of which I have) from the 40s.  Dial sets are relatively uncommon.   Maybe I'm just getting better at spotting them, but they seem to be less rare than they used to be.  Of course there are always the refurbished ones  for $300 or more, but I only include the ones that will sell.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409