News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Williams Electric Tap Bell subscriber set, 1879

Started by Jackandstacey, April 05, 2011, 03:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackandstacey

I know this isn't a rotary phone but I'm looking for people with phone knowledge and found you guys. I found this old phone in the trash and put it on craigs list locally for best offer. I started to do a little research and found very little information on it. So I listed it on ebay and I'm getting bombarded with questions, offers and people telling me this thing should be in a museum. Here is a link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Williams-Electric-Tap-Bell-subscriber-set-1879-/220764471006

Mods, If links are not allowed please delete. Can anyone tell me what I stumbled onto?

===============
EDIT: 
1) Link still active on 5-14-16 but pictures are long gone.
2) Thanks to Wallphone for posting photos below.
3)Also, link shortened and
4) eBay listing added for posterity. Opening bid was $3,000.

Wallphone

Nice find (major understatement). There was one on eBay three years ago and it did quite well. I will attach 3 of the pics from that auction. If you would like to see the rest of them PM me with your email address.
Doug Pav

Doug Rose

Going for $5400. What a great find! Wonder who threw it in the trash and what they would be thinking? ....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

This is a very early phone artifact.

Charles Williams Jr. was the first manf. of telephones for Bell.
This probably dates around 1890's. Any phone items before the early 1900's are very hard to find. A Williams phone part is always worth some good $.

I think the Tap Bell was probably an early signalling device (Ringer).
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

rdelius

This was earlier than the 1890s. This is before AT&T was formed, before WE got the contract to supply equipment . I think 1879 +- is accurate.It does have a gravity switch so it is later than the earlier coffin sets with the manual switch.
Robby

Jim Stettler

I agree Robby, I think it is earlier than I first thought.  I read thru the auction. They show the patent dated 1881. The set is marked "patent applied for".

It is a really early piece.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Greg G.

Quote from: Jackandstacey on April 05, 2011, 03:20:30 PM
I know this isn't a rotary phone but I'm looking for people with phone knowledge and found you guys. I found this old phone in the trash ...

Where exactly is that trash can located?!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

= DARRIN =

Ed D

Quote from: Sargeguy on April 10, 2011, 08:38:47 PM
$18K+

Make sure you pack it carefully!!!
Not only that, me - I'd require a signature on delivery.  Insurance would probably not be a bad idea either.  Heck, I'd have an armed guard or armored truck deliver it!

And congratulations on the find, and the sale!!!!!

Ed

Willytx

Ho-lee Cow!

And don't forget the 15.00 shipping. At that price, I would deliver it myself. Especially if it is going to Australia.

Wow!

AE_Collector

If we hear back from "jackandstacey" (probably on a plane right now for a south pacific island retirement!), I'd love to know who bought it or even what country/state they live in. Out of 9 different bidders I only recognise 2 of them. The 3rd and 9th place bidders. The third place bidder bid $16,789 AND STILL CAME IN THIRD!

Final Price $18,199.02

Terry

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

My $18,001.77 snipe got bumped. :'(
Maybe next time,
Jim ;)
You live, You learn,

Jackandstacey

Well guys it was a fun ride watching that auction. I was actually out to dinner when it ended, the waiter must have thought I was so rude, staring at my phone hitting refresh while he was taking my order but I don't think he cared after getting his tip :o. It was at $5,600 until the last seconds. The phone will be going to a museum in Sweden. I might just have to take a trip there to show the kids what daddy found in the trash. I'm going to be very sad to see it go but it's great to know that I saved a piece of history and put a new bike in my garage.

Want to give a VERY big thank you to Wallphone. I searched everywhere for any information on one that sold before, he really came through for me

Hey Jim, next time I'm kicking some trash around and find one I'll give you fist crack at it.