News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Really Nice Blue 302

Started by Doug Rose, December 04, 2012, 01:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This should go very high, but where are the clear plungers? New cords and black plungers would make me a little nervous. Shell looks like it is dated 1/27/50 and looks real, but the phone is dated 3/49.. Real nice buff on it...make me say....hmmmmm...Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230890878325
Kidphone

Babybearjs

WOW! so far....$1100.00! I knew the colored sets fetched a lot, who the eager beaver?
John

Doug Rose

Even this Blue went for almost $300 and it had seen a rough life...Doug

http://tinyurl.com/b6zgquz
Kidphone

poplar1

The first one went for $2253.00---with black plungers!
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

I couldn't help but feel this was a really doctored phone. Looked marvelous, but the black plungers, the 1949 dates on the base, the repro cords. The 6D (was it a 6D?) dial bothered me more than anything. I know the #6 is slightly smaller than the #5 and is a great remedy if your phone might be cracking, but if this was original it would have had 5J and this a had a #6 dial plate with the black dot. I dunno.....sure was a lot of bucks for a phone...Doug
Kidphone

George Knighton

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 09, 2012, 08:42:47 AM
I couldn't help but feel this was a really doctored phone. Looked marvelous, but the black plungers, the 1949 dates on the base, the repro cords. The 6D (was it a 6D?) dial bothered me more than anything. I know the #6 is slightly smaller than the #5 and is a great remedy if your phone might be cracking, but if this was original it would have had 5J and this a had a #6 dial plate with the black dot. I dunno.....sure was a lot of bucks for a phone...Doug

To be honest, your comments in your initial post caused me to sit back and watch how high it went.  If you hadn't started the conversation the way that you did, I'd have likely bid and bought it.

So, thanks!
Annoying new poster.

poplar1

The 5H and 5J dials were replaced with 6A and 6D on newly manufactured sets sometime in 1952
1953.  Since the color 302s were made until at least 1954, a 6D dial is usually found on the later color sets.

How it ended up on this blue 1949/1950 phone is another story. It could have been added or changed out in the field, in the distributing house, or, more likely, by the person who added the black plungers and repro cords.

Here is another color 302 with a 6D dial where the dial is newer than the rest of the phone:

Ebay item 251188240165
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

Quote from: poplar1 on December 09, 2012, 09:42:53 AM
The 5H and 5J dials were replaced with 6A and 6D on newly manufactured sets sometime in 1952.  Since the color 302s were made until at least 1954, a 6D dial is usually found on the later color sets.

How it ended up on this blue 1949/1950 phone is another story.

Might it have originally been a manual set converted to dial a little later? Or maybe even converted a LOT later by a phone collector rather than by the Telco.

Terry

Doug Rose

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 09, 2012, 11:23:45 AM
Quote from: poplar1 on December 09, 2012, 09:42:53 AM
The 5H and 5J dials were replaced with 6A and 6D on newly manufactured sets sometime in 1952.  Since the color 302s were made until at least 1954, a 6D dial is usually found on the later color sets.

How it ended up on this blue 1949/1950 phone is another story.

Might it have originally been a manual set converted to dial a little later? Or maybe even converted a LOT later by a phone collector rather than by the Telco.

Terry
Terry...that would be sad as a Manual Blue is a lot tougher to find than a dial Blue 302. Still leaves the repro cords and black plungers to think about. Either way, I sure buyer and seller are both VERY happy. Maybe seller a little more...Doug
Kidphone

baldopeacock

Can't see it really well, but it looks like the date in the case is 1/50, which is a year newer than some of the dated components on the chassis.    I would wonder if someone's added the blue case and handset to an original black 302.