"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Historical information wanted on the Ericsson "Turkish" Wallphone

Started by PhoneSeeker, November 28, 2012, 07:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhoneSeeker

Hello Forum,
I'm a new member although I've been collecting phones for a few years now. I've been purchasing parts from from the Phoneco Inc Company for other projects and noticed an interesting kit they offer called a "Turkish LME". I think its a beautiful looking fiddleback styled phone with an interesting outline with good proportions. I am not associated with this vendor. I'm an avid woodworker (hobbyist) and would be interested in learning more about the original design this kit was based on. I've been doing web searches and haven't come upon any photos of the actual real telephone.

My question is, would anyone on the forum know the origins, background, or source of photos for the original phone this kit was based on? Can someone direct me to technical drawings? Can anyone direct me to a source of information for this? I understand there may be forum members associated with telephone museums or other antique telephone information source that may be able to assist.

The picture I'm attaching is from the vendor's catalog. Thank you.

AE_Collector

I have NO idea but I do know that Phoneco was Great at inventing things. Maybe someone will know if this is based on reality or imagination. None of the parts in the picture look foreign at all but then it isn't supposed to be a real phone but just a copy on some level.

Welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place.

Terry

Doug Rose

Terry....I think "invent" is a kind way of describing it.

Phoneseeker ...welcome to the forum. With any Company that sells phones, be very cautious. ..Doug

Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Welcome to the forum.  My advice is to stay away from the invented phones and go for the real things.  At least to me, it is much more satisfying using something that is about the same as it was 50-90 years when someone else used it than to use something new which was made to look old, even if the original one doesn't quite look perfect or work perfectly.

Larry

dsk

Welcome to the forum.
Lots of wise word said here, and I have to admit to have some fake candlesticks. When I discovered them as fake, lots of the fun was wiped out.

I guess the original was like this http://tinyurl.com/chhtqqu

dsk

wds

Here's a picture of a "Turkish" phone I purchased a while back.  I think this one was made by Western Electric, but I have seen some GPO wall phones similar to the one you have pictured.  However, it looks like PhoneCo took some artistic license when they made that one. 
Dave

rdelius

That catalog photo shows a telephone with a repro Kellogg armwith a repro WE transmitter   and the hook and escutcheon are repro WE None of the metal parts appear to be Ericssion.Possibly the wood is old

Sargeguy

I have never seen a real version of this phone.  How much are they charging for that kit?  Local battery fiddlebacks are often available on eBay for relatively low prices compared to other wooden phones,  and single-boxers are even cheaper.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

G-Man

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 29, 2012, 07:24:41 AM
I have never seen a real version of this phone.  How much are they charging for that kit?  Local battery fiddlebacks are often available on eBay for relatively low prices compared to other wooden phones,  and single-boxers are even cheaper.

http://www.phonecoinc.com/topic.asp?map=1&horh=home&gorl=list&group=main&category=Cj&topic=02001

PhoneSeeker

Thank you all for the responses and sorry my delay in getting back to the thread. Apparently the prevailing opinion is that the Phoneco "Turkish" is not based on a real Ericsson phone.  Thank you DSK for the link to the Ericsson site. The site had images of a 1911 Ericsson that had some similarity but no real design connection to the Phoneco version. Thank you WDS for posting the picture of your Western Electric. Sargeguy, Phoneco lists their kit for about $160.00.   

My interest was not in wanting to purchase one of the Phoneco Turkish kits but to find a way to put to use spare antique telephone parts along with some walnut lumber I've got sitting around. I was hoping to find the historical basis for their kit, draw up my own version, and then to make a woodworking project out of it  for my own enjoyment. Collecting real antique telephones is only one apart of my many hobby interests. I've also had a long time interest in woodworking and have a small woodshop. The project would allow me to blend two hobby interests into one project.

Thanks again!

wds

Here's a better picture of a GPO #1 for comparison.
Dave

PhoneSeeker

Wikipedia shows "GPO" as General Post Office in connection to the UK. Is this the same as what you're showing? So would that suggest that the design is not based on an Ericsson telephone?

wds

Look at this website.  There are discussions about these phones, and whether they were made by Ericsson, or possibly Western Electric.

http://www.britishtelephones.com/telelist.htm
Dave