News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What magneto is this?

Started by Bill, January 12, 2013, 03:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

I pulled this out of a mangled 317-BA wood wall phone, which Meyer suggests should have a 48A (5-bar) magneto. I can't find any markings at all except "TEL. CO. PROPERTY" stamped on the bottom in green ink.

Bill

kleenax

Quote from: Bill on January 12, 2013, 03:25:09 PM
I pulled this out of a mangled 317-BA wood wall phone, which Meyer suggests should have a 48A (5-bar) magneto. I can't find any markings at all except "TEL. CO. PROPERTY" stamped on the bottom in green ink.

Bill

Yep, really mangled Bill, and ALL of the magnets are missing!  Looks like a (former) 5-bar Northern Electric to me, but could very well be Western Electric. Unfortunately, it's pretty much junk without the magnets.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

wds

Actually I think the magnets are down inside that box.  I have a couple of those and they work quite well.
Dave

Phonesrfun

Quote from: wds on January 12, 2013, 03:59:42 PM
Actually I think the magnets are down inside that box.  I have a couple of those and they work quite well.

I go with the missing magnet theory.
-Bill G

wds

Give it a crank and check the voltage.
Dave

Phonesrfun

WDS:

Do you have a photo of the ones you are talking about?  I really think there is only room for the armature in that assembly in the photo.
-Bill G

DavePEI

Quote from: Phonesrfun on January 12, 2013, 05:11:02 PM
Actually I think the magnets are down inside that box.  I have a couple of those and they work quite well.

WDS:

Do you have a photo of the ones you are talking about?  I really think there is only room for the armature in that assembly in the photo.
Unquestionably a standard 48A but missing its magnets and clamps. They are U-shaped magnets that clamp over and around the top of the assembly. Junk unless you can find a matched set of magnets and two clamps. These were made before the advent af Alnico magnets and the resultant smaller magnetos made possible by them.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

wds

Crap, your right.   ;D   I was thinking of the magneto's like the picture below.  That one is either a 50A or 48A. 
Dave

AE_Collector

No room for magnets in that one so they threw them away and just hoped that no one would notice....

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: wds on January 12, 2013, 07:06:44 PM
Crap, your right.   ;D   I was thinking of the magneto's like the picture below.  That one is either a 50A or 48A.  

48A - the 48A had three holes in the bottom clamp - the 50A only two....
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Bill

Someone stole the magnets??  Well, that explains why I didn't recognize it.

I guess I need to part out this 317 - or maybe sell it as-is to a fancy-home decorator.

Many thanks for the help, everyone. This was making me nuts.

Bill

AE_Collector

Or convert it into a radio? :)

That's what happens when "us" as kids get access to an old phone, we swipe the magnets to play with!

Terry