News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Frustrated ... does Dial Gizmo still exist? Or is an X Link BTTN the best way to go?

Started by xtal_01, January 11, 2018, 12:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xtal_01

Hey!

So, I now have a couple of rotary phones and what to use them but I get my  phone over the internet.

I know I need a pulse to tone converter.

I read a bunch of posts and reviews.

From what I can tell, Dial Gizmo is one of the best (maybe someone can tell me if I am right or wrong).

Problem, the web site has not been updated since 2014

I wanted to make sure they are still in business before buying $80 worth.  I don't want to order it just to find out there no longer exist or are not responding to their web site.

I have sent them three e-mails in the last two weeks with no response.

Is there a better way of getting a hold of them or a different e-mail I should be using  (info@dialgizmo.com) or ????

Thanks .... Mike

poplar1

If you have only one phone line, then you don't need two dial gizmos. One is enough, installed ahead of all your phones.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

ThePillenwerfer

I can't give you a definative answer but would say this:  If you pay by PayPal your money is safe if the gizmo doesn't arrive.  Also I have read several accounts over the years of DialGizmo not responding to e-mails.

trainman

Or you can see if oldphoneworks.com or oldphoneshop.com has any in stock.  Rather than buy direct from the manufacturer, if you have concerns about receiving your item.

xtal_01

Thanks guys .... I was hoping I could get away with just one.  I was going to pick up two just to have a second one as a spare (yes, I am one of those people who have a spare of everything laying around here somewhere ... problem is finding it when you need it).

Other than this unit (and after reading, it looks like one of the better ones), is there any other converter I should consider instead?

Thanks so very much ..... Mike

ThePillenwerfer

Old Phone Works have these: http://www.oldphoneworks.com/pulse-to-tone-converter.html which APPEAR to be the same as a DialGizmo.

There's also a device called a Dialor2 available from China via e-Bay or AliExpress.  These seem to be a lower spec DialGizmo. See this thread: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=161.msg200033#msg200033

RotaTones are different in that you need one for every 'phone and you have to modify the 'phone itself.  This means doing several is expensive and you may not be happy, or confident, to modify your 'phone(s).

They are all the commercially available devices that I'm aware of.

I can't recommend any as I've no personal experience of them.  However, I'd agree with you that the DialGizmo seems to be the best bet.

Jack Aman

Get an x link.  It will allow all your dial phones to work perfectly over internet phone provider and allow three cell phones to port in to your house phones too.  Works perfectly.  Even allows adjustments for old and slow dials.

TelePlay

Quote from: Jack Aman on January 12, 2018, 12:24:56 AM
Get an x link.  It will allow all your dial phones to work perfectly over internet phone provider and allow three cell phones to port in to your house phones too.  Works perfectly.  Even allows adjustments for old and slow dials.

What is an X-link? Please post a link to a source, example, etc. and a photo of one. Google gives too many varied hits for X Link.

xtal_01

Hey!

I just found the site.  It really is made to tie your cell phone into a home system.

It does not mention dial phones but I guess you are saying it does the same thing ... changes pulses into tone?

Do you then connect it into the modem rather than a phone land line as they show in the instruction?

Thanks .... Mike

poplar1

You will need the BTTN model if you want a wired line (VOIP, Magic Jack, cable modem or landline) in addition to up to 3 cell phone lines. The VOIP line plugs into the BTTN, and the cell phones connect via Bluetooth.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XLINK-BTTN-Cellular-Bluetooth-Gateway-Brand-New-in-box/222596222744

(The less expensive BT model is fine for up to 3 cell phones, but you can't connect your VOIP line or land line, etc.)

poplar1

poplar1

dsk

I have one of those Xlink's (BT) but I never got a stable connection, to be specific, I have to restart the Xlink several times during the week. Now I use IP telephony so I have not used it for long.  (Shipping to USA from here will be $54, and I could sell it for $20) but it is till an old one, no warranty, and wrong adapter so I guess the best would be to buy it new.

dsk