"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Moss green?

Started by jfrutschy, December 09, 2013, 09:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfrutschy

eBay item # 331084226361

Is this moss green from western electric?  Is it original?   It's a awesome find if real!

John

Contempra

the handset seems to be broken John but  the color I don,t know if it's original 

Phonesrfun

It's real alright, and should go for a decent price, if there are no stress cracks around the corners of the base.  We need to get a photo from the listing because the ebay listing will go away someday and nobody will be able to tell what we are talking about.
-Bill G

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Phonesrfun

Thanks, Dave, I was using my ipad, and it is a real pain to copy URL addresses and pictures.  That is one nice thing about a real computer.
-Bill G

Sargeguy

I think the photos may have been "enhanced"
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

Quote from: Sargeguy on December 09, 2013, 11:21:37 PM

In what way? Hue and saturation? Think it should look more like this, maybe, more close to its real color?

unbeldi

Quote from: TelePlay on December 10, 2013, 01:01:27 AM

In what way? Hue and saturation? Think it should look more like this, maybe, more close to its real color?

The 302-type green is not Moss Green (-51), close perhaps but not the same.
The name of the 302-green is gray-green, code -19.
However, they are closer in hue than the corresponding reds, Pekin Red and Cherry Red.

Sargeguy

Definitely some saturation, and the hue looks different as well.  I just dug mine out of the project box and put it together.  My wife called it "avacado" :-\
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

Quote from: unbeldi on December 10, 2013, 01:13:28 AM
Quote from: TelePlay on December 10, 2013, 01:01:27 AM

The 302-type green is not Moss Green (-51), close perhaps but not the same.
The name of the 302-green is gray-green, code -19.
However, they are closer in hue than the corresponding reds, Pekin Red and Cherry Red.

That would make sense. I can't find a color chart showing the -19 Gray-Green color. If you have a reference to it, please share. I used the -51 from paul-f's site to get the color somewhat more close to what it may actually be. The -19 was in the original color series and -51 added later. If only we could get all eBay listers of these rare color phones to put a color card besides the phone when taking a picture and then using a photo editing package of their choice to make the photo match the color card, then we would see the "real" color of these phones, given that the seller's display/monitor is showing the same color as everyone else's - in a perfect world.  ;)

jfrutschy

I see e darker green looks more like the old green 202's.   The lime green look through me.  The handset seems to be shot.  If it ends up being a darker color I wonder if another f1 from a 202 would match.

poplar1

Quote from: jfrutschy on December 10, 2013, 09:29:07 AM
I see e darker green looks more like the old green 202's.   The lime green look through me.  The handset seems to be shot.  If it ends up being a darker color I wonder if another f1 from a 202 would match.

Same green: the Continentals (like my avatar) were issued c. 1955 in 302 colors: pekin red, ivory, green are the most common.

Green was not one of the original 202 colors--the phones with painted brown Bakelite E-1 handsets.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Here is a side-by-side sample of the green WE's of the 1950s:
2x 302 + 2 x 500.

So we see, those two colors are really very close.

unbeldi

Here is another taste of green, flavored with the spirit of the season.

jfrutschy

Man those are gorgeous!   I may start liking the holidays!