News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Payphone Trailer - Fading Memory, looking for a jostle

Started by Sigmaz, February 24, 2018, 05:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigmaz

When I was younger I have memories of going to the area summer fair / carnival.

I remember that every year the local Bell office would park a payphone trailer next to a pole on one end of the venue and string multiple drops from up above down to the trailer.

I sort of remember the side doors would flip open and up to act as an overhead shelter from the weather.

Does anyone have any photographs or specs of these marvelous mobile phones of the past?

Thanks.

Sigmaz

Ask and Ye shall receive....
You've just gotta love Google....

twocvbloke

Talk about pay-as-you-go mobile phones...  ;D

Sigmaz

I think one of these would be handy at events as a Payphone/ATM trailer.

Hmmm... I wonder where one would find such a beast..

A few GSM gateways and we're in business.

Babybearjs

that thing is still useful! just wait till something happens to the cell phone system and these will be back in demand....
John

Another one for your viewing pleasure.

AL_as_needed

That is pretty smart, can't say I have ever seen one. I can only recall seeing payphones by the services area of fairs, usually by the first aid station.

Would they just wire that into the local lines? Theoretically now they could connect that to the network in any number of ways. 
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

Quote from: AL_as_needed on February 25, 2018, 07:37:12 AMTheoretically now they could connect that to the network in any number of ways. 

Given the advent of fast 4G mobile data and VoIP, you could have them entirely wireless (aside from power needed to operate electrical gubbins), so wouldn't need to be connected to anything really... :)

Babybearjs

VOIP.... cable.... that would work..... they could run these thing through a modem of sorts and have multiple lines, yet only 1 connection....
John

AL_as_needed

In the case of some disaster, they could even go for a satellite connection. Assuming they had a power source (solar even maybe?), they could run totally independent of their surroundings.
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

Wouldn't take much to power it either, so long as power use is kept to a minimum (E.G. no unnecessary lighting) solar power charging a battery bank could indeed run them for some time... :)