News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lamp Phone Atrocities!

Started by Greg G., May 06, 2009, 12:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

So what kind of phones are/were these?  I can't tell from the pictures, other than they have WE dials.

http://salem.craigslist.org/for/3364423629.html ( dead link 02-21-21 )

Quote2 Rotary Phone Table Lamps - $115 (Stayton)

Date: 2012-11-20, 9:53AM PST
Reply to this post Reply to: ng5rq-3364423629@sale.craigslist.org

2 matching table lamps. The base of the lamp is an actual rotary phone that works. The light part has a nice beige lamp shade. This would make a nice novelty Christmas present or maybe just a good way to show your children a part of the past. I am asking $65.00 a piece or $115.00 for the pair.

If interested call Judi at 503-569-4174. Come check us out at Judi's Junktion 333 N 1st St Stayton, Or. 97383
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

Another D1 "Mid-Century-Retro-Rotary-Telephone-Table-Lamp-or-Desk-Lamp-Very-HTF" lamp. Hard To Find indeed.

Seller states "Awesome One of a Kind Vintage 1950's Mid Century Telephone Lamp Designed to be Desk Lamp or Table Lamp Looks like it was a working telephone at one time redesigned into a table lamp Stands 22 inches tall Works!"

Imagine that, looks like it was a working telephone at one time, D'oh!  :-\ My disappointment easily turns to sarcasm on these. On the other had, $60 isn't bad for the parts, I think. Surprised the auction is almost over and no one jumped at the BIN price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160930514634

cello973

Well curiosity got the best of me so I bought this one on ebay.... I was hoping it was a reproduction and not a real 202 but I was quickly disappointed once I I opened the box and found that it was once a real telephone and stripped clean to boot the dial is a 4H and was stripped clean and modified with a push switch to turn the lamp on and off all you do is dial 6 or "O" how clever.... wish I knew who the person was that committed this heinous crime I would love to show them a few clever tricks I can perform with a 2X4....

Vince

twocvbloke

Quote from: cello973 on December 27, 2012, 09:56:46 AM
I was hoping it was a reproduction and not a real 202 but I was quickly disappointed once I I opened the box and found that it was once a real telephone

At least it can be restored, that hole drilled into the back of the base can be filled in and the phone repainted/replated, the dial replaced and the handset refitted with it's gubbins, and anything else it may require, most phone destroyers just drill down through the handset & hookswitch making them impossible to restore properly, so, there's hope for this one yet... :)

the phone house

Purchased at Antique stores, would never do this...last one from Target
Steve @ The Phone House

Greg G.

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 07, 2012, 11:50:12 AM
Many of the Lamp phones or at least the idea for them originated with Junior Achievement programs operated by some Telco's. Youngsters were given some business training by doing projects such as turning the Telco's old retired telephones into things like Lamps and then selling them to the public to gain business experience.

I have seen articles and pictures about this but I am not sure where now. Maybe someone has something they can add about this.

I think that Old Phones and Phone Lamps were used as retirement gifts for Telco Employees.

Terry

Originally, I thought the lamp phones were simply the work of individuals who got the idea either on their own or from other uninformed individuals.  Knowing now that this was something that was popularized by Telcos, Popular Mechanics Magazine, et al, it's not quite as upsetting, but I still don't like it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

I saw one once like that last one in an antique store.  It seems that even antique dealers don't know the difference between an antique and any thing elase.
-Bill G

Greg G.

Depends on what the price is and if the parts that can be salvaged are worth as much or more.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 27, 2012, 02:20:33 PM
It seems that even antique dealers don't know the difference between an antique and any thing elase.

I'm always amazed at how clueless some antique dealers are.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

What the heck is that last one? A floor standing telephone?!

Phone House: I am going to move this to the Lamp Phone Atrocities ongoing topic so these lamps can hang out with the other lamps.....

Terry

TelePlay

It was made by WE as an "ANTIQUE CANDLESTICK TELEPHONE LAMP" classified as "PATIENT 1915" and done well enough that "THE LAMP WORKS" according to the seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321046763656

"THIS IS A REAALY NEAT LAMP.  LIFT THE RECEIVER AND IT TURNS THE LAMP ON PUT IT ON THE HANDLE AND IT TURNS IT OFF.   MADE BY WESTERN ELECTRIC   PATIENT IN 1915   STANDS 32" TALL WITH THE SHADE."  :o

Imagine that, and the lucky bidder will only have to shell over a minimum of $239 for this rare lamp. Hurry, auction ends in 5 days.  ;)

Seriously, how does one come up with a price like that on an item like this?

old_stuff_hound

Quote from: TelePlay on December 29, 2012, 12:32:55 AM
It was made by WE as an "ANTIQUE CANDLESTICK TELEPHONE LAMP" classified as "PATIENT 1915" and done well enough that "THE LAMP WORKS" according to the seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321046763656

"THIS IS A REAALY NEAT LAMP.  LIFT THE RECEIVER AND IT TURNS THE LAMP ON PUT IT ON THE HANDLE AND IT TURNS IT OFF.   MADE BY WESTERN ELECTRIC   PATIENT IN 1915   STANDS 32" TALL WITH THE SHADE."  :o

It was patient in 1915, but is it still patient? I'd have lost my patience by now....

DavePEI

Quote from: old_stuff_hound on December 29, 2012, 11:28:18 AM
It was patient in 1915, but is it still patient? I'd have lost my patience by now....
It makes me wonder how many of those who sell phone lamps are or should be patients!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dave F

Quote from: TelePlay on December 29, 2012, 12:32:55 AM
<snip>...Seriously, how does one come up with a price like that on an item like this?
I think all these phone lamps can be lumped into the category, "If you build it, they will come".  Jerks wouldn't be selling them if morons weren't buying them!

DF

twocvbloke

Quote from: Dave F on December 29, 2012, 01:55:45 PMI think all these phone lamps can be lumped into the category, "If you build it, they will come".

Works for Ford, GM and Chrysler too I guess... :D