"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

4 TVs in one...

Started by gpo706, March 22, 2013, 04:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

This a Sony PVM 411 CE.

It's a 4 x 4" B/W rack mounted monitor unit for broadcast monitoring.

Got one for £60 & £10 P&P.

Happy to say it was all well packed and in perfect order, there's no sound output, but who needs sound when you can look at all the lovely pictures, eh?

The power buttons illuminate when pushed on, and are numbered 1 to 4.

Smart, solid bit of kit, I have inputs from - 1 -DVD player, 2 - Sumvision Cyclone USB stick player, 3 - one house CCTV camera, and 4 - Digibox TV output.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Russ Kirk

One of my past jobs with PacBell was a video Engineer handling TV ckts. this looks like the equipment we installed the  Television operating cent (TOC).  The TOC switched TV signanal for football and baseball  games as well as TV news broadcasts. They were used to monitor the quality.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

gpo706

That's right Kirk, it has an asset sticker on it I just discovered - it's from the satellite broadcaster BSkyB, (Prop - R.Murdoch).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSkyB

WesternElectricBen

I would set it up with my favorite 4 shows of choice for when i'm fliping back and forth between channels when commercials come on. Then I could see whats happening and flip the big tv's station.

Ben

twocvbloke

hehe, the monitors have been liberated from the Murdoch empire eh? :D

You just need a 19" rack to sit them in, and add some shelves to house other peripherals to connect to them... ;D

gpo706

Ben - good idea, but I'd need 4 freeview boxes to input!

2CV - no 19" rack here, just plonked it under my 24" CRT telly!

There's a spaghetti junction of leads hanging off the back of the TV unit now, but its not nearly as messy as my Pana 616.

twocvbloke

It's funny how even a single screen TV needs so much spaghetti these days, once upon a time it was just the aerial, now it's all kinds of different plugs... :D

It'd be handy for use with a CCTV setup, 4x cameras aimed in various places and all visible under your telly... ;D

And as for keeping things tidy, get some of them twisty plastic spiral things to keep everything neat, it's what I've used on my 616 for most of the wires coming from it... :D

gpo706

Quote from: twocvbloke on April 02, 2013, 01:42:39 PM

It'd be handy for use with a CCTV setup, 4x cameras aimed in various places and all visible under your telly... ;D

Luckily it wasn't used on fixed CCTV inputs, or you would get screenburn on them.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: gpo706 on April 02, 2013, 01:17:52 PM
Ben - good idea, but I'd need 4 freeview boxes to input!

2CV - no 19" rack here, just plonked it under my 24" CRT telly!

There's a spaghetti junction of leads hanging off the back of the TV unit now, but its not nearly as messy as my Pana 616.

Oh yah, that is just my fantisty after watching Back to the Future #2.

Ben

twocvbloke

Quote from: gpo706 on April 02, 2013, 09:37:11 PMLuckily it wasn't used on fixed CCTV inputs, or you would get screenburn on them.

True, hough the same could be said if it had testcards or colour bars on the screens the majority of the time while they awaited OBU feeds from satellites or something... :D

baldopeacock

In my 30+ years in broadcast TV, we used some of these in production control rooms and at the camera controls.   Small monitors like this are more to confirm "presence" than quality - at a glance, tells you if the camera, the live shot, the VTR, etc is working and the image you should be seeing is there.   

These are not TVs - they don't have receivers.   Just video monitors, but rather good ones.   

gpo706

Its a nice 4 monitor rack unit baldypeacock, now I'm looking for  a 19" rack to mount all my junk in!

twocvbloke

Quote from: gpo706 on April 28, 2013, 03:15:47 PM
now I'm looking for  a 19" rack to mount all my junk in!

I wonder where you got that idea from? :D